Could my motherboard be the reason for my computer not starting

I have a friends Emachine that use to get to the Windows Vista log on screen and then shut off everytime, I tried recovery discs and that did not work so I hooked up the hard drive to my computer and reformatted it and then tried to boot the emachine up with windows 7 and xp but as soon as it got to the installation part it would shut down again. So I got a new hard drive and that does the same thing, so I got a new power supply and it still causes the same problem, I tried the beep test for RAM and it beeps when the RAM is not in so im assuming it is recognizing that though i guess it could still possibly be faulty, but I think it is either the CPU or mobo? Could it be the motherboard cause I can get to the BIOS and the computer stays on forever but as soon as i try to boot it up then it shuts down???
1 answer Last reply
More about could motherboard reason computer starting
  1. Keep troubleshooting. Could be the ram or ram slot that is bad, or the cheapo emachines power supply. I've never lost a cpu when the heatsink is intact, but it will overheat if the cpu fan has failed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Computer