Can i put old storage only hdd in my windows 7 computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bull223

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I have an older 500gb hdd from a windows xp computer. it was used for vids photos and other storage. can i put it into my windows 7 computer w/o much trouble? jumper was set to slave in other computer, would it just be plug n play in new one?

Solution
itas long as you have an IDE port on the mobo, you will be ok. If you have to share the IDE connection with another drive, consider an external enclosure. If it was mine, I would just get an enclosure. Try to find one that has a separate power connection and a fan.

festerovic

Distinguished
itas long as you have an IDE port on the mobo, you will be ok. If you have to share the IDE connection with another drive, consider an external enclosure. If it was mine, I would just get an enclosure. Try to find one that has a separate power connection and a fan.

Solution

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I would only temporarily attack it to retrieve the data needed. Given that you said that it's an older HDD, it will probably be comparatively slow for your new Win 7 system. Unless you are willing to use it only occasionally for storage of course because then go ahead and leave it attached to the new system.

But how old is it? I would be worried about depending on it and have it fail due to age.

Status
Not open for further replies.