Pc DIED! lol need help on how to find the cause

Hate45678

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Ok I was doing a prime 95 test (just un-overclocked my processor back to the original 3.2 I had 3.8 stable but no need to keep it that high)
It was going good, temps were around 40c then suddenly Was on test 5 or 6 and they went up to 100c and my pc shut off. The power light on the case was blinking, and when i went to turn on the pc again(i let it cool down first) the fans spun for 1/4 of a second then everything went non responsive.

Here is what i know so far

1. when i unplug pc and plug it back in, the fans do NOT spin.
2. I do not get any led's on the motherboard, or a post beep.
3. However the psu powered up my old dell pc, So does this mean my motherboard is fried as its 100% non responsive?
4. I see no visible damage to any of the components. The Motherboard has no sign of burn marks, nor does the processor, I took it out and it still looks like new(with the exception of the AS5) RAM and Vid card also have no signs of damage.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2ghz
MSI 790X G45 Motherboard
4 GB OCZ RAM(2 sticks)
ATI 5770
OCZ 700watt PSU

Any advice would be very much appreciated :) thanks for reading

Hate45678

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
@ Emperus. Ive reset the bios and nothing, Battery looks fine but i have no way to test if it has a charge

@zulfadhli the psu works to power another pc doesn't that mean its alright?

thanks guys for the fast answer

Since you have tried your PSU elsewhere already, also try some other PSU on your current rig just to make doubly sure that it is not a PSU issue.. The most obvious victim now seems to be the motherboard.. Although, CPU reaching a 100C temp and shutting down doesn't sounds too convincing either.. If you can, check your CPU in any of your friends PC.. Were you using the stock cooler when you overclocked..??

theDanijel

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Sounds like your motherboard is the victim, but still it could be the PSU. I also had a similar problem where the 4 pin CPU connector wasn't delivering any power, but the PSU worked on older boards that did not need aditional power with that 4 pin connector...

soest009

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

AMD spec's will tell you max temp is 62c, offcourse there should still be a bit slack in there.
But het you (as you said) went a whopping 38c over it....
So i would say that you deep fried ur cpu (even after the thermal protection kicked in).

But allways be sure and test ur cpu in a working situation like a friends pc, or have the cpu checked by a local dealer with technical facility's.
It's the only way to be sure.

Ea0

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Mobo or CPU.

Try it again tomorrow.

Sry dude.

My setup:
Intel i7 2600k sandy bridge @ 5ghz
Water-cooled
Corsair 2133mhz ddr3 8Gb
Msi p67
2 Asus gtx570 directcuII in sli
1000 watt 80 plus bronze psu
120gb ocz ssd vertex 2
1tb hd 7200rpm 64mb cache sataIII dual processor
Wind tunnel case

-sent from my ipad 2!

Wampbit

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
By fans do you mean Chassis fans or fans connected via the motherboard?

If you have chassis fans connected to the PSU directly (for example to the molex ports), without any fan controller connection to the motherboard, and they do not spin up, the psu could be at fault. If your fans get power through the motherboard then the PSU is most likely alright, I suggest getting a multimeter and measuring your voltages just to be sure.

Frankly it sounds more likely that it's the mobo that's dead.

soest009

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

If ur cpu is fried and therefore short circuits it's very possible that youre mainboard doesnt fire up as well, seen it many many time's.