Sign in with
Your question

Best RAID drives for Video Editing

Last response: in Storage
January 19, 2012 10:37:53 PM

I'm looking to get WD RE4's for either a RAID 3 or 5 setup for media storage. However, i'm doing this because i've read to get enterprise drives for RAID setups without researching much into consumer hdds.

From experience, would any one recommend any other drives? I've read in several boards that WD Black's aren't good because of the disabling of TLER (which, according to my very limited understanding is an error correcting thing that makes the blacks more likely to fall out of an array?)

Thanks
January 19, 2012 11:22:19 PM

Ok, let me be borderline schizo and reply to myself..

thus far ive managed to find out that these drives would be good for a video editing RAID

hitachi 7k3000
samsung spinpoint f3
wed re3 & re4s

anybody else?
a b G Storage
January 19, 2012 11:55:31 PM

Go with the Deskstar series, you can not go wrong...

My conspiracy theory that HDD manufacture just want more money so that create a enterprise series with esential same stuff with different firmware...

Here is the article about enterprice vs desk top that Google did. There is NO increase reliable in enterprise drive compare to desktop

Opps forgot the link! Here it is:
http://storagemojo.com/2007/02/19/googles-disk-failure-...
Related resources
January 20, 2012 8:06:47 AM

FireWire2 said:
Go with the Deskstar series, you can not go wrong...

My conspiracy theory that HDD manufacture just want more money so that create a enterprise series with esential same stuff with different firmware...

Here is the article about enterprice vs desk top that Google did. There is NO increase reliable in enterprise drive compare to desktop

Thanks... for the tips... btw, which deskstar series would be good, there are several?? I was looking at the 7k3000 series
a b G Storage
January 20, 2012 4:48:09 PM

starmarc said:
Thanks... for the tips... btw, which deskstar series would be good, there are several?? I was looking at the 7k3000 series

For high density HDD, I would go for lower RPM, here is why.

Coolspin (normally 5900 rpm). This about 18% less, but the data is pack so dense, that will make up the lower rotation speed.

We did test 5x 3TB Coolspin in our eBOX-R5, we got 250MB/s, where 5x 1TB 7200rpm only 230MB/s
and RM16_S6-R with 16x HDD we got over 1000MB/sec - I posted the screen capture somewhere in this forum.
!