Solved

5970 vs GTX 285 SLi ?

5970 vs GTX 285 SLi, who wins, by how much roughly?
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 5970
  1. Best answer
    It would appear the 5970 would win: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5970,2474.html

The only place I saw the 285 SLI beating it was when physX is a factor, such as the 3dmark vantage.
  2. The gtx 285 in sli would perform slightly less than a 5970 because the 5970 @ stock is 2 5850s. If you already have a 2 gtx 285s DO NOT upgrade, but if you are stuck picking between the 2 the 5970 is a better buy with dx11, eyefinity, more performance and cheaper!
  3. Quote:
    HD 5970 rapes GTX 285. And its much smarter to go for a dual GPU instead of SLi

I would disagree. My 8800 GTS 512mbs are doing fine in the driver area but my friend's 9800 GX2 isn't, at all. (Still can't play Dragon Age: Origins with any form of scaling)
  4. AN OCd 5970 actually can beat out quad SLId 295's. so the 5970 is way ahead of dual SLI 285's.
  5. 5970. And yes, X2 cards are almost always better than sli or xfire solutions.
  6. AMW1011 said:
    I would disagree. My 8800 GTS 512mbs are doing fine in the driver area but my friend's 9800 GX2 isn't, at all. (Still can't play Dragon Age: Origins with any form of scaling)

And if one of your GPU's was to go pop you could remove the faulty card and still have a usable system but if a dual GPU card goes wrong and you remove it...
  7. personally, i would rather have a dual card system than a dual GPU card. if i had the cash, id buy the dual GPU since it would be cheaper. but id rather get one card now, and another later (exactly what i intend on doing with my 5870)

plus, dual card systems just look cooler....
  8. Mousemonkey said:
    And if one of your GPU's was to go pop you could remove the faulty card and still have a usable system but if a dual GPU card goes wrong and you remove it...

That is a good point, though I'm not sure whether the card wouldn't just run as a single card. I suppose not.
  9. welshmousepk said:
    personally, i would rather have a dual card system than a dual GPU card. if i had the cash, id buy the dual GPU since it would be cheaper. but id rather get one card now, and another later (exactly what i intend on doing with my 5870)

plus, dual card systems just look cooler....

Yeah I'm one of the few people who buy two cards at once.
  10. AMW1011 said:
    Yeah I'm one of the few people who buy two cards at once.

I'm the other one.
  11. Best answer selected by vpsaline.
  12. So the ati card is roughly -5 to +30% faster depending on benchmark?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx SLI Graphics