Sign in with
Your question

So Lost, Suggestions Please

Last response: in Motherboards
August 22, 2010 11:20:00 PM

Ok let me start off by saying this is my 2nd custom build and i read all user manuals. here are my specs

CPU: amd phenom X4 9750
MOBO: ASUS M4A785-M
RAM:p ATRIOT PC6400 DDR2 800MHZ 2X 4Gigs
PSU: Coolermaster 500w Extreme power
GPU: Geforce 9800Gt
HDD: 500gig WD blue

One Night i was watching southpark my firefox browser started going crazy it crashed got a little bubble pop up in the right hand corner saying the system has recovered from a hardware failure and evertyime i try to open firefox the screen would flicker and i would get the same little pop up. so i decided to just shut my computer down, it took it longer then usual all the fans stayed on for about 5 mins after the screen was black .

Woke up the next day tryed to power on my computer all fans came on the HDD spinned but a total black screen no beeps or anything, so i troubleshooted clearing the CMOS and what not before Replacing the motherboard which has slightly fixed my problem now it boots but on the windows 7 welcome screen it either freezes or crashes, blue screen comes and goes so fast so i have no idea what it says.

Iv tryed replacing the HDD, Ran the Windows 7 Memory test says memory is good, have ran with bare minimums changed RAM slots re checked everything multiple times, Taken out the CPU (had a tiny little bit of black on it) put it back in nothing seems to help, iv tryed re-installing windows 7 but it always says im missing a file which is impossible cause its a pristine legit copy of windows 7. i have also tryed to install windows XP but right before i get to the format the Hard-drive page it crashes and restarts.

Im lost on what to do next, its either the CPU or the PSU any suggestions?

More about : lost suggestions

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 234 V Motherboard
August 22, 2010 11:32:23 PM

I would try next replacing your PSU from another PC to see what happens. With a Coolermaster PSU, there is a chance it gave out.

Also, I would recommend running (or try running) MemTest86+ overnight to see if you get errors. I trust it over the "Windows 7" memory test.
August 23, 2010 9:59:24 AM

Alright sweet i get my paycheck soon so i will try to replace the PSU, didnt know coolermaster had a bad reputation (should of researched more) but iv been looking into getting a OCZ ModXStream Pro 600-Watt, or a slightly more expensive Ultra X4 500-Watt. , the OCZ has some good reviews the Ultra doesnt seem to ahve any.

I will try and run Memtest 86+ and see what happens,
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 198 V Motherboard
August 23, 2010 4:16:23 PM

Try removing the 9800GT and its drivers in the meantime and switch to your integrated ATI GPU (download the drivers first from ATI.com) to see if that helps your situation. If your PSU isn't providing good, consistent power to the GPU, it will create all sorts of havok with your system. The on-board GPU will comsume far less power than the 9800GT.

Good luck!
August 23, 2010 10:53:52 PM

COLGeek said:
Try removing the 9800GT and its drivers in the meantime and switch to your integrated ATI GPU (download the drivers first from ATI.com) to see if that helps your situation. If your PSU isn't providing good, consistent power to the GPU, it will create all sorts of havok with your system. The on-board GPU will comsume far less power than the 9800GT.

Good luck!

Yea iv been running it without the 9800gt, with or without its the same problem and i cant get into windows at all so installing/uninstalling VGA drivers is impossible, this problem doesnt seem to give me to much to go on
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2010 11:08:08 PM

It may be that you have two problems at the same time which can cause all sorts of dramas when trying to use the process of elimination. I had a Rig that drove myself and three other techs to despair for two weeks. Turns out that it had a problem with the PSU and an intermittent BIOS issue on a Gen 1 Raptor I was running. It is possible that you have a bad PSU as suggested which in turn has damaged other components. Start the build again from the PSU onwards. If all else fails try another brand of RAM as Win 7 is rather fickle when it comes to what RAM it will play nicely with.
August 24, 2010 7:08:14 AM

Wamphryi said:
It may be that you have two problems at the same time which can cause all sorts of dramas when trying to use the process of elimination. I had a Rig that drove myself and three other techs to despair for two weeks. Turns out that it had a problem with the PSU and an intermittent BIOS issue on a Gen 1 Raptor I was running. It is possible that you have a bad PSU as suggested which in turn has damaged other components. Start the build again from the PSU onwards. If all else fails try another brand of RAM as Win 7 is rather fickle when it comes to what RAM it will play nicely with.

Yea i hate that suggestions cause i just built this computer like 3 Months ago..... But im ordering a new PSU for sure tommorow after i cash the check, i replaced the motherboard last check so if i still have problems i might as well send it back and get a new one before my 30 days are up, why do computers have to be such a pain in the ass sometimes..
and about win 7 being picky with RAM. have you had problems with it and Patriot RAM? or have heard of ppl that do?

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 198 V Motherboard
August 24, 2010 1:21:44 PM

Windows 7 is no more picky about RAM than it is about CPUs. Hardware compatibility is completely different than software compatibility. You MAY have an issue between your RAM and your motherboard, but that is not a Win7 problem.

Have you run memtest to verify whether the RAM checks out or not?
September 4, 2010 8:35:56 PM

COLGeek said:
Windows 7 is no more picky about RAM than it is about CPUs. Hardware compatibility is completely different than software compatibility. You MAY have an issue between your RAM and your motherboard, but that is not a Win7 problem.

Have you run memtest to verify whether the RAM checks out or not?

Sorry for my long absence been really busy with work, but i have ran memtest86+ 3 Times all night so it got 8 passes each time so im guessing my RAM is ok, but after running memtest all these times i tryed starting windows again and it gave me the option to run windows start up recovery which was able to successfully repair something but as soon as i clicked restart i got the blue screen of death saying "System Service Exception" the the tech info says STOP: 0x0000003b

Im assuming this error is being caused by my CPU only cause its the only part i haven't replaced. any thoughts?
!