SSD - RAID 0 Developments?

whoareyou1982

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I've done a significant amount of searching, but I haven't been able to get a definite answer. I understand there has been a recent development concerning RAID and TRIM support in SSD's, but I can't tell if it applies to me. First my rig:

i7 2600-k @ 4.6 ghz
Asus p8z68-v pro BIOS version 1101
2 x 4 gb G. Skill PC3-12800
EVGA GTX 570 Superclocked
Corsair 850 Watt PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932

Now I'm aware that recently a version of IRST has been released that allows SSD's to run in RAID 0 and still allows TRIM support. My question: Does this driver only work with intel SSD's/motherboards? More importantly I suppose, with my rig, would I be able to buy two SSD's, configure a RAID 0 array with them, and still have TRIM support? Do forgive me if the answer is easily found out there, but my searches have been fruitless.

Been considering a purchase of an SSD/s of late, and I just want to be well informed before I make a purchase. Thanks for any and all replies!

Quick google search:
Intel RST 11.5 is not expected to arrive until sometime in Q2 2012 with support for Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems. For a more detailed explanation on TRIM,
Ref: http://www.techspot.com/news/46364-intel-adding-trim-support-for-ssds-in-raid-0-with-rst-115.html

Also: Read http://www.extremetech.com/computing/106349-intel-to-add-trim-support-for-raid-0-in-upcoming-drivers

In answer to your 2nd quest - Yes Intel's RST driver will ONLY work with Intel Chipset.

Wait at least 3 months AFTER release to verify NEW driver is bug free!!

whoareyou1982

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Indeed, now that you post that I remember that the drivers haven't been released yet. Thought I saw somewhere that some drivers were released already, but my brain might be making things up again. Regardless, the development is in the works. What I could find no info on was an answer to my second question, though your answer mirrors what I expected. In any event I'd only be buying one SSD to begin with anyway, I just like to have a plan for the future. Thank for the reply!

Back when intel released their version 9.6 RST driver their was a lot of "BULL" that it included Trim support for Raid0. Intel came out and clarified this - NO, it only allowed trim support, when raid was selected, if the SSD was NOT a member drive. After about a Year, there were still posts indicating it did and they general referenced OLD/outdated reviews.