Help selecting a motherboard: First AMD build

I'm trying to put together a decent computer for 3DS Max, Photoshop, and occasional gaming. Right now I have everything but the MOBO, Power Supply, and Heatsink.

AMD Phenom II X4-965
4GB OCZ Black Edition Ram
MSI R5830 Twin Frozr II - ATI Radeon 5830
Western Digitial Cavier Black - 640GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout

I dont really know what direction to go for a MOBO. Is it worth it for someone like me to get one of the new 890 series AM3 boards, or go with a 785G, 790GX, or even 790FX?

Like many, i'm trying to get the most for my money. I've been looking at the normal ASUS, GIGABYTE, and MSI. I dont really need the most amazing features, just a really solid MOBO for the price. FWIW i've been thinking about getting:

Power Supply: Corsair 650W or XFX 650W
Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio or Corsair H50

All comments welcome. Thanks in advance.
8 answers Last reply
More about help selecting motherboard build
  1. 1) I would go with the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO/U3S6 AM3 AMD 785G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard.

2) I would switch to a Nvidia GTX 460 1GB over the ATI 5830. It is more powerful and have better support through CUDA for your applications. Plus, you are running a single slot PCIe 2.0 X16 motherboard, so you don't have to worry about no Crossfire support.

3) I go with the XFX 650, as Corsair has switched makers of the 650TX and there seems to be a higher rated issues coming from them.

4) I would go with the Thermaltake Frio over the Corsair H50 but my recommend heat sink for an AM3 is the Sunbeam CR-CTTF.
  2. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- I agree in the mobo with tecmo34, nice suggestion
    2- The GTX460 can give u more performance but my suggestion is this MSI Cyclone GTX460 it's a very good OC GPU
    3- This Silverstone 600W can run the rig without problems.
    4- Get the Tintan Fenrir or wait for the H70.
  3. Thanks for the recommendations guys. I have had the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G on my radar since this build began.

As for the GPU, I've already got the Radeon 5830. I got it for $155 new, so i felt like I got a pretty good price on it, and i'll probably be keeping it.

If i were to want to Crossfire two 5830's in the future, would you recommend sticking with the Asus 785G or choosing a different board? Again, this is a maybe, but it definitely could happen.

Also, any other recommendations on MOBO's, Power Supplies, and Coolers would be greatly welcomed! Thanks
  4. If u want Crossfire in the future that mobo isn't a good option in that case this ASRock seems fine but I never has had ASRock mobos my current mobo is a Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5.
  5. Would you suggest the Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5? or something different for me? Any other suggestions. I'm not a big ASRock fan.
  6. No, I only say that I never use ASRock since my mobos are Gigabyte or MSI.

Go with the 2nd one of the tecmo34 suggestion since has more proof life for the chipset.
  7. if you wont be ordering it right away i can come let you know how my asrock turns out tomorrow. as long as it all works and not doa seems like itll be a really nice board for the money. best i could find feature wise like it was the asus 890gx for 60$ more. if you dont want to use crossfire you have alot more options for saving money. the 870/880 asus/gb/msi boards looks nice for the money just none of them have 16/16 or 8/8 pcie their all 16/4

this is what i ended up grabbing. support seems to be fast so far atleast for ram questions. i contacted support twice about compatible ram before ordering and they answered back within an hour
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198

for the same features your asus/gb/msi options are about 140$ so up to you really if the 50$+ is worth it
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards