Sign in with
Your question

Troubleshooting new system build

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2010 12:46:17 AM

So I put my new system together and have begun playing a couple of games. Had a couple of things happen and I'm not sure what is going on.

First I tried the ati overdrive utility to see what I could clock my xfx 5770 at. I upped the clocks bit by bit and ran 3dmark06 after each change. I was able to max the clocks out doing this, I thought that running through 3dmark06 once was enough to see if it was stable. So GPU clock 960 and memory 1445.

First game I tried was Bioshock. Video went out during the intro movie so I backed the clocks a bit from max and tried again. Currently have them at 930 and 1430. Played for a while without problem.

Then I tried Torchlight. Screen changes to completely beige and I can't do anything. First time I was able to hit the windows key and minimize it, second time I couldn't even do that.

Since this is a completely new system, I have no idea what might not be working. Am I just overclocking too aggressively? What else could it be?

i7 920 stock fan, stock clocks
6 gig corsair dominator, xmp profile 1
xfx 5770
corsair 1000hx
evga classified mb
January 24, 2010 4:23:13 AM

Unfortunately, some cards just won't overclock. You may have gotten one. Shouldn't need to though, as your 5770 should max out Bioshock framerates even at stock clocks.
!