Windows 7 using all my cores???

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Windows 7
  • Task Manager
Last response: in CPUs
March 30, 2010 3:38:55 AM

Hey guys,

I just got a q9550 and my task manager says Windows 7 is using all of my cores..

Is this normal? Isn't it supposed to be using only 2?

More about : windows cores

a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2010 4:04:58 AM

it has 4 so it will use and show 4.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 30, 2010 4:05:01 AM

It should/use show 4. Why in the world would it only use two?
m
l
Related resources
a c 133 à CPUs
March 30, 2010 4:38:59 AM

It would be pointless to have all these multicore processors and only use 2 cores lols. Depending on the version of windows it can utilize up to 256 cores\threads on a max of two sockets anymore then 2 sockets you will have to get windows server edition. So windows is designed to use as many threads as you can throw at it to maximize its performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 30, 2010 1:27:40 PM

plagasx said:
Hey guys,

I just got a q9550 and my task manager says Windows 7 is using all of my cores..

Is this normal? Isn't it supposed to be using only 2?

In the search box, type: performance monitor

Run that app - It'll display the resources the system has and how much is being used. With your 4 core processor, you should see 4 boxes in the CPU section. At idle, those 4 should be pretty much empty. Under use, the traces on the graphs will change to indicate each core's current load. If you see all 4 cores, and there's little/no load when the system's not doing anything - that is proper behavior. If you're not doing anything and all 4 cores show a heavy load - then there may be a problem, and you should investigate what is using your comp.
m
l
!