TheKidd

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
my rig

core i7 860
p55 Asrock Extreme
4gb g.skill ripjaw
ati 5850

when playing far cry 2 with all the settings on ultra high and dx10 i get an average speed of 30 fps.
now to me this seems very low, considering the power of the 5850.

Is this normal for this card and game? fyi i get 50+ fps on crysis with very high settings.

Solution

"Vsync synchronizes your FPS with the refresh rate of your monitor to eliminate tearing. thereby limiting your FPS, if you have enough performance to reach the refresh rate. This requires more buffering, and without enough GPU RAM
, your frame rate can suffer from it. " is right. and also cards with LESSER ram and clock speeds cant cope with extreme FPS jumps. so you get the tearing. also with lesser motinotrs with slower refresh rates. but thats another story. so the Vsync can help buy lowering the FPS to a constant veriable. for example 30FPS.( i think the max in farcry2 with vsync on is 60) SO that being said, if he was wondering why it would CAP at a constant FPS (like 30) but knows...
farcry2_1920_1200.gif

Seems like somethings up. Do you have the latest drivers installed?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I think the max in-game is 8x. I noticed the same thing with my 4870 today, FPS seemed stuck at 30 for most of the intro, but it went up after a while. Maybe something to do with Vsync from what I hear, but it goes away.

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

make sure your Vsync is turned off, sometimes that lowers fsp. that mode is intended for lesser cards

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

Uh, no. Vsync synchronizes your FPS with the refresh rate of your monitor to eliminate tearing. thereby limiting your FPS, if you have enough performance to reach the refresh rate. This requires more buffering, and without enough GPU RAM, your frame rate can suffer from it. Jeez, do your homework.

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

"Vsync synchronizes your FPS with the refresh rate of your monitor to eliminate tearing. thereby limiting your FPS, if you have enough performance to reach the refresh rate. This requires more buffering, and without enough GPU RAM
, your frame rate can suffer from it. " is right. and also cards with LESSER ram and clock speeds cant cope with extreme FPS jumps. so you get the tearing. also with lesser motinotrs with slower refresh rates. but thats another story. so the Vsync can help buy lowering the FPS to a constant veriable. for example 30FPS.( i think the max in farcry2 with vsync on is 60) SO that being said, if he was wondering why it would CAP at a constant FPS (like 30) but knows his video card and computer can handle more, Vsync might be turned on, and maybe his computer doesn't need it.

Solution

TheKidd

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks a lot guys that makes total sense...

one last thing though, is vsync a good thing or a bad?
it sounds like (from what i understood) that its only needed for lower end systems.

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

ask yourself, "do i have better game performance with it turned on or off" if you find that game play is nicer with it turned on then its a good thing. if game play gets worse with it on then its a bad thing. Trial it yourself and see what best suits your system. Its not JUST for lower end systems, people with lesser systems just use it to steady out the FPS. (from what iv scene anyways)

Its as easy as this...

If you get 60-100FPS in a game then it would be recommended to enable v-sync since you will still hit the 60FPS constantly and improve visuals (lines, tearing, etc..)

Some people have a misunderstanding when it comes to 60 frames vs whatever you can get with v-sync "disabled"... The human eye cannot tell past 50-60 frames...

TRENDING THREADS