Sign in with
Your question

Which setup is better for what?

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2010 2:32:11 AM

Okay here is the problem. I bought 2 computers off ebay. Now I only need one so Iam going to give my dad 1 of them.

I use it for: gaming, watching movies and want to turn my pc into a hackintosh.

My dad uses it for work, he uses: Outlook, Internet, & Watching Youtube Videos.

Now I know my dad doesn't need an i7 but still he needs a lot of speed. Here are the setups and please tell me which one will suit better to me or to my dad. Thank you.

PC SETUP 1:

Motherboard: Asus(something)

CPU: i7-870 2.93 GHz

Memory: Corsair 8GB DDR3

HardDrive: 1.5TB

Video Card: Nvidia GTX295

Sound Card: XtremeGamer 7.1

Optical Drive 1: DVD +/- RW DL

Optical Drive 2: DVD +/- RW DL

So thats system 1. Here is system 2:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55

CPU: i7-860

Memory: 6GB DDR3 2000MHz (G-Skill)

Harddrive: 1.5TB running Raid-0

Video Card: HIS ATI 4870 1GB

Sound Card: XtremeGamer 7.1

Optical Drive 1: DVD +/- RW DL

Optical Drive 2: LG Blu-Ray Burner

So that is system 2. Now here are some peripherals that I got with the sytems:

-Logitech G15

-Logitech MX Revolution

-Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Bundle

-BOSE Companion® 3 multimedia speaker system

-Samsung 25" TV

-Westinghouse 32" TV

-(2) Samsung 19" Widescreen Monitors with portait modes

So that is all the stuff I got. Please make a perfect combo for my and my dad. If needed. I can swap optical drives like if PC 1 is better, then I'll put the Blu-ray into that one and use pc 1 for myself. Also is it possible to use a 32" TV and both the monitors for 1 PC?

More about : setup

January 24, 2010 2:41:02 AM

Those are along the lines of EQUAL, the only really big differences being that one has a BD Burner, and one has more memory and a sound card.

I'd say you keep the first system, the better video card and more memory should suit our gaming needs better, and the BD Drive in your Dad's computer should be a nice feature for a multimedia person. Also decide who REALLY needs the sound card and swap it if necessary. Also since your Dad sounds more like the general use type of person, the faster HDDs and memory should help some. As for you, slightly faster RAM and Hard Drives are not essential to gaming.
m
l
January 24, 2010 2:49:58 AM

raybob95 said:
Those are along the lines of EQUAL, the only really big differences being that one has a BD Burner, and one has more memory and a sound card.

I'd say you keep the first system, the better video card and more memory should suit our gaming needs better, and the BD Drive in your Dad's computer should be a nice feature for a multimedia person. Also decide who REALLY needs the sound card and swap it if necessary. Also since your Dad sounds more like the general use type of person, the faster HDDs and memory should help some. As for you, slightly faster RAM and Hard Drives are not essential to gaming.

thanks. the BD drive is going in my though since my dad usally strictly uses his pc for work. Also both pc's have the same model sound card. THe speakers Iam getting and my dad is getting my old dell 2.1 speakers. Also I have both computers have (3) 500GB HDD's each running raid-0. my dad worked on PC 1 today and the highest cpu uasge was 11% when he was watching a HDvideo and running 3 inter explorers and outlook running at once.

Also is it possible to hook up 3 monitors to pc 1? what about pc 2?
m
l
January 24, 2010 3:03:58 AM

I think you can output to 2 monitors w/either the 4890 or the gtx 295. I think the 5xxx AMD GPU's are the only ones right now that support 3 monitors at a time. You'd have to buy another GPU to support more monitors, IIRC.
m
l
!