Opinions about using hard drive partitions

Hi guys, so I bought a hard drive which I thought was a 80GB SATA II but its a SATA I indeed. It was bought off ebay and I cant be bothered to send it back, wait for a refund and wait another 4-6 days to buy a different hard drive.

I have two hard drives now:

HDD-1: Western Digital WD800JD 80GB SATA I, 8mb Cache. (BOOT HDD)

HDD-2(Previous HDD): 320 GB, Seagate 16mb cache. I dont know if its Sata I or Sata II. Seagate website says it can be 1.5 or 3 gbps but I dont know how to check which one it is.

Now that I have installed a fresh copy of windows 7 on it, WEI score went from 5.8 for HDD-2 to 5.4 for the HDD-1. So I want your opinion whether I should go through the hassle and re install windows 7 on previous HDD or stay with having the OS on the HDD-1 and copying/installing programs, games and documents on the previous HDD-2 ? I have read about hard drive cache on toms hardware forums and people seem to say it doesnt really matter what the cache is as long as it has 8mb.

Also I forgot to turn on the AHCI mode while installing windows on HDD-1 and now if I turn on the driver for AHCI mode, windows boots really slowly. So there is another + point for re installing on AHCI mode if it gives any performance boost at all.

But really is it worth using the 320 gb, 16mb cache with a better WEI for the OS ?

Cheers for the help.

Specs:

E5200 @ 3.74ghz
GA-73PVM-S2H
4GB 800MHZ Ram
650 Watt PSU
XFX HD 6770
4 answers Last reply
More about opinions hard drive partitions
  1. actual performance difference should be negligible... you're not going to see huge differences in speed unless you have an SSD to compete with the HDD...
  2. slhpss said:
    actual performance difference should be negligible... you're not going to see huge differences in speed unless you have an SSD to compete with the HDD...

So you are saying I should stay with my current setup ? There is no point of installing the OS back on the 320gb drive right ?
  3. not unless you really want to... the performance increase would not be easily noticeable
  4. I'd recommend using the 16 mb hard disk for windows. At least in my case, switching from 8mb to 16mb made a pretty huge difference.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Cache Storage