Sign in with
Your question

Opinions about using hard drive partitions

Last response: in Storage
January 20, 2012 6:16:30 PM

Hi guys, so I bought a hard drive which I thought was a 80GB SATA II but its a SATA I indeed. It was bought off ebay and I cant be bothered to send it back, wait for a refund and wait another 4-6 days to buy a different hard drive.

I have two hard drives now:

HDD-1: Western Digital WD800JD 80GB SATA I, 8mb Cache. (BOOT HDD)

HDD-2(Previous HDD): 320 GB, Seagate 16mb cache. I dont know if its Sata I or Sata II. Seagate website says it can be 1.5 or 3 gbps but I dont know how to check which one it is.

Now that I have installed a fresh copy of windows 7 on it, WEI score went from 5.8 for HDD-2 to 5.4 for the HDD-1. So I want your opinion whether I should go through the hassle and re install windows 7 on previous HDD or stay with having the OS on the HDD-1 and copying/installing programs, games and documents on the previous HDD-2 ? I have read about hard drive cache on toms hardware forums and people seem to say it doesnt really matter what the cache is as long as it has 8mb.

Also I forgot to turn on the AHCI mode while installing windows on HDD-1 and now if I turn on the driver for AHCI mode, windows boots really slowly. So there is another + point for re installing on AHCI mode if it gives any performance boost at all.

But really is it worth using the 320 gb, 16mb cache with a better WEI for the OS ?

Cheers for the help.

Specs:

E5200 @ 3.74ghz
GA-73PVM-S2H
4GB 800MHZ Ram
650 Watt PSU
XFX HD 6770

January 20, 2012 6:29:21 PM

actual performance difference should be negligible... you're not going to see huge differences in speed unless you have an SSD to compete with the HDD...
January 20, 2012 6:34:10 PM

slhpss said:
actual performance difference should be negligible... you're not going to see huge differences in speed unless you have an SSD to compete with the HDD...

So you are saying I should stay with my current setup ? There is no point of installing the OS back on the 320gb drive right ?
Related resources
January 20, 2012 7:35:16 PM

not unless you really want to... the performance increase would not be easily noticeable
January 20, 2012 8:45:35 PM

I'd recommend using the 16 mb hard disk for windows. At least in my case, switching from 8mb to 16mb made a pretty huge difference.
!