Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia card in board with radeon onboard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2010 11:32:49 PM

can i stick a nvidia graphics card into a computer with onboard radeon graphics card ( i had been told u cant and have also been told u can)
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 11:39:34 PM

Yes - though you will need to disable the onboard (most MOBO's will do this when any video card is plugged into your PCI-e slot but best to make sure in the BIOS) - but any video card can be used as long as there is the correct type of slot (ie. PCI-e x16) on the MOBO the only thing is an ATI chipset MOBO will not support SLI so you can not link 2 video cards in SLI on an ATI chipset board. (they support Crossfire instead) But a single card will be fine !
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 17, 2010 11:46:03 PM

^+1
:) 
Related resources
January 17, 2010 11:53:48 PM

ok and how do i make sure my onboard i turned off in the bois 9what do i go to just to make sure)
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 12:08:40 AM

WC Aftermath said:
ok and how do i make sure my onboard i turned off in the bois 9what do i go to just to make sure)

IT varies by MOBO but usually somewhere under integrated peripherals you will se an option for onboard video just make sure it says disabled (as I said most MOBO's will automatically do this once you plug a video card into the PCI-e slot and connect your monitor to the new card but just in case it never hurts to check it in the Bios.)
January 18, 2010 12:11:47 AM

ok thank you that just saved me from buying another graphics card!!
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 12:16:52 AM

Actually just looked at my Gigabyte Manual and it is under the Advanced Bios Features page not integrated peripherals page!
!