Why am I lagging w/ Asus G50v Vista64 in World of Warcraft?

pred625

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Ok, I bought this laptop *Asus G50v* over a year ago and it works amazing, I haven't came across any problems UNTILL World of Warcraft!!!

Among the usual lag from patch days, server restarts, upcoming holidays and etc, lag is not an issue.

When I played in regular places in Azeroth *original WoW world*, I have no lag what so ever. But when I bought "The Burning Crusade" expansion.... my lag problem went straight to hell. It goes from 5 seconds to up to 2 mins lag intervals while moving at 3-7 FPS!!!!

I KNOW, CRAZY!

And the same goes for Wrath of the Lich King areas in Northrend.

I've called technical support for BOTH World of Warcraft AND Asus, but so far... no conclusion to this nightmare.

I've turned down the video settings to the lowest and it helped a little, but not enough to be noticeable.

I've upgraded a number of my drives, and nothing really changes.

The issue that drives me even MORE crazy is that there's a number of instances that i DON'T LAG IN AT ALL in the Burning Crusade AND WotLK places!

Is this a server issue? Internet issue *I have 20DL/5upload speed*? what is it?

I went to "canyourunit.com" and my laptop passes the recommended requirements w/ flying colors.

p.s: I play Command and Conquer 3; Tiberium Wars w/ no lag issue what so ever. UNLESS I ENTER to any Burning Crusade/WotLK instances/Battlegrounds/areas what so ever, I won't lag...even in a highly packed places like Orgrimmar.

stillborn

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hmm, It could be internet problem but I don't think you would experience so big changes entering another zone, how is your pc responding to crowded main cities where there are a lot of people?

Yingas

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Based on what server you are playing on, alot of the full or high pop servers have been having ALOT of lag issues lately, I don't know how often you play..but try logging on in the wee hours of the morning or when other's are not on..If your problem is better it is server lag, It's on your side

Here is also another fix I find useful for lag issues in wow with a regedit... you can find this at http://wowacker.uuuq.com/ Basically changes around a few ways your comp communicates with the wow servers and usually leads to a 100-200 ping decrease (depending on your current ping)

It is also hack free, and if you don't feel like using the tool on the website it does have step by step regedit instructions for the paranoid types :p

you also mentioned FPS while talking about lag..and these are entirely seperate things, while your FPS might be dropping in high population area's "dalaran etc.." that would not be a latency issue but a video card issue..and I would check drivers and overheating first for that, then possibly consider a RMA

pred625

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

I tried what u guys suggested and looked up on other issues that you guys have brought up...................

It's not my internet, it's not my Video card.......... I have found the answer..

TOO many programs running in background.... in other words, Selective Start Up................ it did the trick... RARELY go down from 50 FPS..

TY for your tips, suggestions, ideas, and things that i had no idea like lag and FPS are actually different lol...ty all, if i had a billion dollars...u would all get some moneyz for your help :)

neghvar

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
The problem is actually overheating. Presently there is no known answer to the problem.

What happens is that as it is reaching higher temps, as a safety measure, it throttles itself down. Not just the games, but the whole system. Which is why lag jumps when your fps drops. This does not just occur on WoW, but I has experienced it in, Far Cry, Supreme Commander and Sins of a Solar Empire. driver upgrades did not help. Nor did closing as many background apps as I could.

The only thing for me that solved the problem was playing out on my patio at night when it's in the 30s - 40s