Low SSD bench result

sib0

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hello,
I recently bought KINGSTON SV100S264G SATA-II SSD, and i'm facing with slow speeds on bench result
asssdbenchkingstonsv100.png

Maybe its normal for this SSD, i dont know but hope i will get some decent answer...

Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 (fx)
Ram: Patriot 4GB (2x2) DDR3 1333mhz
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz
Hard Drive: WD 1TB Caviar Green

alexpho

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Yes, try a fresh install on Windows and make sure you have the bios on AHCI mode prior and/or install them during the windows op installation. Another would be disabling all the C1 and other energy savings feature in bios

^ first, Your scores are also slightly low. Cause, Most likely because you are using the msahci driver. For Intel chipset Should be using the iaSTor driver (Intel RST driver ver 10.6, they have a newer on 10.8). My Laptop w/128 Gig M4 overall score is over 700 w/as ssd.

Also, comparing the m4 to a low end sata II SSD is not valid.

To OP, as clutchc indicated your Seq read is very close to spec, seq writes are slightly low. BUT spec was not with AS SSD, was with a benchmark program that uses Data that is readily compressable, AS SSD uses compressed data. Could not find any Benchmark for the 4 K with is the important matrix. Higher benchmarks are with Intel chipset using Intel ahci driver.

Sorry to be the bear of bad news, but Personnally I would have skiped on that SSD
Ref: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-139-415&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1

This indicates ony a 2 -> 4 x HDD performance. Only one benchmark for Other than Seq, and I was not impressed with the resutls (slightly higher than yours, but was run with crystal Diskmark. The High Failure rate leading to very poor 1/2 egg recommendations Is related to the Older Firmware that bricked a lot of them.

A while back, I had read that some of the Kignston "value" SSD had rather poor 4k specs, and were only 2->4 x a HDDs. Also Note that you are on an AMD system, using MS default msahci driver.

Bottom line: If it was cheap, and YOUR performance (In Using) is considerably better than a HDD then Ignore the benchmarks and ENJOY. Down stream whan you can afford a Higher end one, get it and use the Kingston as a "scratch" drive.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into that. I thought I installed the Intel RapidStore driver from the Gigabyte website when I installed the other motherboard drivers, but checking Device Manager, I see the SSD's 'Driver Provider' is listed as Microsoft.
This is the driver I downloaded from the board's site and installed: motherboard_driver_intel_sataraid_irst.exe It is listed as ver. 10.6.0.1002
Is it not the correct one? If it is, do I just re-install, or what?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

It looks like I only thought I installed the Intel RST driver. After installing the new driver, Device Manager now reports the correct driver. Thanks again for the heads up. The Intel driver made a bit of an improvement in most areas, and a slight drop in others. But I still can't break 700 like you did.

My total score went from 634 to 671.

Could be the diff between a 64 Gig M4 and a 128 gig SSD.
My scores (as ssd top to bottom:
501.97 ... 194.29
22.28 ..... 49.21
296.64 .... 155.71
0.089 ...... 0.202
369 ........ 224
......774 (over all score)
Note my overall score for my ramdrive is 4614.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Very Interesting. At the risk of hi-jacking this thread, my scores are:
515.39 ... 106.89
26.42 ... 61.14
270.38 ... 84.01
0.101 ... 0.257

348 156

No Ramdrive here. Apparently motherboard memory and its buss system that's used as your ramdrive is quite a bit faster than the memory used in SSDs.
Any idea of a different SSD benchmark program that's in English? My German is a little rusty since my high school days.

Don't care for the HD tune and the other one that uses daa that is readily compresable. The best benchmark is PCMark vantage as it comes the closest to simulating real life.

Quite frankly, I would not wory to much about the results of synthetic, I would bet that if Our to computers were side-by-side, you would not see any (to very little) performance difference.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Sounds good to me. I think I'll go with that... :D

Being a senior citizen who is growing old disgracefully I am amazed I even remembered. Sometimes it is worse like when I know something but I can't remember why. For example, I know I am supposed to like women but I can't remember why. :D

sib0

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I've forgotten to mention i had some BSOD(month ago) and windows experience bugs (6.9. 6.8 5.9)
So im going today to RMA this disk ...
Thanks all for your help and decent answers especially RetiredChief

All the best
sib0