Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 3570k Overclock / Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

Last response: in Overclocking
September 14, 2012 7:17:45 PM

I've looked around here (and other places) and I feel like I have a decent grasp on how to get a good overclock around 4Ghz - 4.2 Ghz. I still have a few questions on some motherboard options though. Am I supposed to disable turbo boost on my CPU if I'm overclocking? Will I be fine on stock voltage if I'm only going in the 4 - 4.2 Ghz range? Are there any other settings I should be aware of before I go ahead and do this?

Also if anyone has a good guide, I'd love to check it out.

Thanks!

Best solution

a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
a c 180 V Motherboard
September 14, 2012 7:41:59 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274821-29-sandy-bridg...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259903-29-overclockin...

These are some of the stickys that are at the top of this forum and you can look through these for some help. Do a google search for overclocking and I'm sure you will come up with a lot of sites that will have some tutorials plus youtube is full of videos on the subject.
The stock voltage will take you only so far and it's hard to say just how far since every cpu will overclock differently. What you can do is start with raising the multiplier up by a few notches and see if your stable and then go some more , with each time going into Windows and verifying stability. You may be able to get to 4ghz without adding voltage but like I said every cpu is different so there's no way to know how far you can get without adding voltage.
You can also check in your bios for any preset overclocks as some MB's will have a set of preset overclock speeds that are already to be selected and they have all the settings that you need preselected so that once you choose the speed that you want it sets it automaticly and that's all you have to do. My MB has three presets 4.0ghz, 4.1ghz and 4.2ghz so if all I want for an overclock is 4.2ghz then I would just select the 4.2ghz setting and save and exit the bios and my computer is now running at 4.2ghz.
September 14, 2012 11:52:18 PM

Thanks for the help. I set my system to a 4.2Ghz preset and so far it's been completely stable. I've done some testing with prime95 and played BF3 / GW2 for a couple hours. I have noticed though that my core voltage is changing all the time because my BIOS settings all defaulted to auto in my preset. Is this okay?
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2012 11:53:36 PM

I should note that not all settings defaulted to auto. Just certain CPU options like the voltages.
m
l
September 15, 2012 2:47:01 AM

If your core voltage is jumping around, it's ok because the motherboard automatically lowers the voltage when the CPU is not in use so it will produce less heat. Under load, the voltage should not be jumping around. If it does then you may have a problem.
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
a c 180 V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 4:27:54 AM

As I had pointed out in my previous post when you choose the preset overclock the bios takes control of the overclock with the preset settings that are entered into the bios and these settings cannot be changed . They are tested for stability at the factory and when you install your cpu the bios recognizes what cpu it is and adjusts the settings to match. When you look for instability you are looking for Windows to be causing problems and to be aware of what your cpu is doing then you should be monitoring the heat that it is generating so a good monitoring program like cpuid hardware monitor would help in that area.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a c 87 V Motherboard
September 15, 2012 5:43:46 AM

inzone said:
As I had pointed out in my previous post when you choose the preset overclock the bios takes control of the overclock with the preset settings that are entered into the bios and these settings cannot be changed . They are tested for stability at the factory and when you install your cpu the bios recognizes what cpu it is and adjusts the settings to match. When you look for instability you are looking for Windows to be causing problems and to be aware of what your cpu is doing then you should be monitoring the heat that it is generating so a good monitoring program like cpuid hardware monitor would help in that area.
+1
m
l
September 18, 2012 7:36:47 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll mark this resolved.
m
l
September 18, 2012 7:38:10 PM

Best answer selected by Incrementum.
m
l
!