Why wont it start! q9550

nicko11

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hello, i'm having some troubles with my motherboard and the q9550 quad core processor.

Today i went to the store for a new processor, and before that i did some research on my motherboard which is and

MSI BOSTON G31_ICH7-6A79OM4FC-00, which clearly states already in the number, that it has the g31 chip for quad core support.
http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Chipsets/G31/G31-overview.htm

But as soon as i've put it into the pc and start it, it says unsupported cpu.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Nicko

OK yes the chipset can support that processor but your motherboar prob can't. That motherboard what is it in a compaq or an HP system you will have to see if you can find a bios update from the manufacturer. Yes your chipset can run it but unless the manufacturer puts support in the bios it will not work.

You have to look on Compaq site MSI will not have any info on it since it is specifically made for Compaq so its is their responsibility to offer updates for the board.

Can you give me the Compaq model number I will help you find it.

nicko11

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
It's and compaq sr5611sc, and i've found something else.. the chipset is p35/g33/g31 .. and it should really support as a default.

Like I said yes the chipset will but Compaq has to write support for it into the bios for it to work unfortunately prebuilt systems like Compaq's and dell's are really hard to upgrade because of this.

I am sorry to tell you this but that board will never run that CPU looks like they never updated the bios for it that was a budget system and they didnt put alot of support for it. You will have to upgrade your motherboard to use the Q9550. You most likely wont be able to run anything with a 45nm core. And it won't support a FSB above 1066.

They did not write any support for new processors in that update you can try it but it will probably not work.

nicko11

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Oh well thought so, thanks the help, i'd rather upgrade my motherboard instead of risking the whole pc.

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
If you do that it will void the license of your copy of Windows.

When you change the motherboard of a computer for a different one, and you have an OEM copy of Windows on it when you boot the new mobo for the first time Windows will think its a different machine because you will fail some of the criteria for the WPA. You will likely have to "find" another OEM Windows Key.

Or

Just buy a retail copy of Windows and you will then be able to change all of the parts in your PC as much as you like and it wont void your license. But you will have to do a clean install of Windows.

The moral of the story is dont buy computers from Compaq, HP, Dell etc.