Ep35-ds3l no nic

catalan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Finally got time to put together the parts I bought awhile back, but now the problem is after a fresh install of winxp and the ep35-ds3l chipset drivers I don't have anything in network connections besides 1394. I've tried google to find if others have had this problem, but no method has worked for me so far.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Please give the group more information about your new computer system, CPU, HDD, Graphics Card, any Network Interface Device periperal card, amount and type of RAM.

Also does your system POST, and go through the System Setup, Boot loader, OS Loading, to the desktop?

If your system does POST, click on del to get to the System Setup, and look on the Integrated Peripherals sheet, at the LAN choices. If you have no add in NIC, the Onboard H/W Lan should be set to "Enabled", and onboard LAN boot ROM to "Disabled".

If both are set properly, and you can boot up tothe desktop, Right click on "My Computer, to the System Properties dialog box, and choose "Hardware", then "Device Manager" . Look down the list to find Network Adapters, where you should find the LAN ethernet device and the 1394 firewire hardware. The 1394 should be listed and working properly as you mentioned. See if the LAN connection also listed there is working, or has a Yellow icon or Red X thru it meaning it is not installed. Depending on what you find, it may be just redetecting the NIC, or letting windows install the network drivers.

bilbat

Splendid
Download and extract this zip file to a location you can keep track of...

Follow John's instruction through checking device manager. If your LAN hardware doesn't appear, skip next ('uninstall') step. If it does appear (will need to expand "Network Adapters" entry to see it...), right click on it, and choose 'Uninstall'. Go to the extracted directory ("PCIE_Install_5764_08192010") and double click on the 'setup.exe' file to run the RealTek LAN driver installer. Reboot, and your LAN should appear.

If not, post back and I'll try to find you a diagnostic procedure - unfortunately, though RealTek make an excellent diagnostic tool for their LAN chips, it's a Vista-based install - may take a bit of twiddling to figure something out to work on Xp...

catalan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010

My comp specs are:

cpu e7200
mb gigabyte ep35-d3sl
hdd samsung hd502hj
gpu sapphire 4850 512
ram gskill 2x2gb ddr2 pc8000
psu corsair 520hx
os winxp

im able to boot up into windows just fine and install the chipset drivers, but it doesnt detect any network connection besides the 1394. ill go through the procedure yall listed and ill post back later. thanks for the help

catalan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010

okay so i installed those drivers and at the end it says, "the realtek ethernet controller was not found. if deep sleep mode is enabled. please plug the cable."

i went to integrated peripherals in the BIOS and h/w lan/onboard lan etc doesnt show up only thing similar is SMART Lan and when i go into that the page is blank. also the h/w doesnt show up in network adapters.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

Just want to make sure that on the Integrated Peripheral page of your BIOS, just above the SMART LAN, the 9th item, you are not? seeing ONBOARD H/W LAN, as a line item, which should be "enabled", and in the Device Manager, Hardware, you are not seeing any Network adapter recognized?

On the POST page of your BIOS, what is the BIOS version number? The latest is F6, from 6/19/10. Could you have flashed the BIOS previously?

If your BIOS isn't recognizing the H/W LAN as an onboard HW device, there inlies the problem, since it is an onboard H/W device controlled by the single RTL 8111B chip.

Are you comfortable FLASHING the BIOS using the Q-Flash applet <F8> in the System Setup, to load the latest BIOS version? If the newest BIOS Version doesn't list the ONBOARD H/W LAN, then possibly the LAN controller chip is defective.

There is another way around this, but obtaining the latest BIOS would be the next step. Let's see if Bill has any other sage thoughts in this unusual situation.

catalan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010

in SMART LAN, i dont see anything listed in it and in device manager under network adapters, the only thing listed is 1394. i havent flashed the bios since i received the board last year and im almost certain it's an older version. unfortunately, the only experience i have with flashing bios is with winflash which was years ago on my current amd 754 setup.

catalan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
just an update currently flashing to the latest bios using q-flash. was a pretty simple process. ill keep yall posted on how it goes afterwards.

alright so i just got finished flashing and installed the lan drivers and it tells me the same thing earlier, "the realtek ethernet controller was not found. if deep sleep mode is enabled. please plug the cable." went into bios and still nothing is listed in SMART LAN besides virtual cable test.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
There are several reports on the discussion boards about this same problem, the Realtek LAN chip not being recognized by the BIOS, with the exact same error msg ""the realtek ethernet controller was not found. if deep sleep mode is enabled. please plug the cable."

Many different drivers, uninstalling, reinstalling, using the native Windows drivers were tried without success.
Gigabyte has even offered suggestions, none of which have worked.

There were two successful steps reported, which are worth trying. One is to unplug your computer, take out the CMOS battery, and wait 5 minutes. Then replace the battery, and boot up using the "Default" CMOS settings. This sets the CMOS back to its default settings. See if the "Onboard H/S LAN is now visible on the System Setup Integrated Peripherals page.

The other was on reformatting the HDD and reinstalling Windows. That person also had Ubuntu installed in a partition, which he wondered if it was a factor. However this has nothing to do with Windows, it's a hardware recognition problem in the System Initialization before the System Config step. The onboard LAN should be recognized in the BIOS without any HDD or OS installed.

Why not give the first choice a try, shutting down, unplugging the computer, removing the battery, waiting 5 min, reinstalling the battery. Also you might just disconnect all hard drives, DVD drives, USB drives, Flash drives, leaving only the Keyboard P/S2 connected.
Then boot up to the POST System Setup <del> and see if the LAN is listed.

If not, since this is a new build for you, send the board back for RMA replacement, or consider a more recent Gigabyte board that your components would function on.

catalan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
I've tried reformatting several times already and I tried removing the battery/ram, while letting it sit for a bit. I haven't tried unplugging hdd, optical drives, etc. Ill do that next.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
That is the "other" option, adding a PCI or PCI-E Network Interface Card, and using it for Networking.

Since this is a new Gigabyte Motherboard, why not RMA it to Gigabyte and get a MB that does not have a defective controller chip. You've done everything reasonable to test it out properly. Will take a couple weeks.

Then you will be starting out with a fully functional MB. Motherboards are not like wine, they never get better with age.

catalan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010

ive already tried installing all the drivers and the diagnostic utility didnt work. all it had when i installed it was a general tab with nothing in it.

Try deleting the 1394 in the Device Manager + click Scan for Changes. It seems your missing NIC is the "1394" and somehow the driver became mis-configured - your MOBO has NO on-board 1394 {firewire}. If possible take a screen shot of the Device Manager tree & post here.
motherboard_productimageback_ga-ep35-ds3l_big.jpg

Next, if that fails then you'll need to "Manually" install the correct driver. Run the [motherboard_driver_lan_realtek_8111.exe] and note the location. In the Device Manager right-click the "1394" and select "Update Driver" -> select "no not this time" + click Next -> select {Advanced} and look for the location of the Realtek folder and select the appropriate driver...

Q - Any "?" unknown devices present in the tree?

Q - What SP of XP did you install?

BTW - Is this an OEM version of XP or did it come from somewhere else. "IF" it did come from somewhere else then Microsoft posts a fresh + clean version of XP SP3.
MS XP SP3 ISO - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2FCDE6CE-B5FB-4488-8C50-FE22559D164E&displaylang=en

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Jaquith is absolutely right - there is no 1394 port on this motherboard!

So possibly deleting the 1394 entry in the Device Manager will permit the BIOS in recognizing the Network controller properly.
Wouldln't that be interesting!

Is there any easy way to post a screen shot or image on this discussion group, without first uploading it to a file sharing web site and then inserting the URL as a link?

catalan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Well when I went for a fresh installl of winxpsp3 the 1394 doesn't even show up anymore which is weird. Nic card came in and inet works on it. I wouldve tried deleting the 1394 if it was still there lol, but when I get home tonight I'll take a pic of device manager and post it for you guys.

A little confused - I "assume" the "new" NIC card works fine, 1394 is gone now because you reinstalled XPSP3 from the ISO - so "if" everything installed correctly you "should" have (2) NICs in the tree. "If" that's the case then return the new NIC ($) and use the on-board. Problem solved...

Q - I guessed you used an XP CD from another rig; this can cause all sorts of issues "if" the CD is scripted for a particular PC (the worst example is a notebook with 1-off drivers).

catalan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Yeah the xp cd was originally sp1 from an old comp and I slipstreamed sp3 onto it. Well even after the fresh install before installing the new nic card there wasn't anything listed in nic or network adapters under device manager

You can manually add the NIC - open Control Panel, open Add Hardware and go through the dialog.

Duh - so neither the on-board or PCI NIC are present - interesting... Yep, I'd like to see the Device Manager tree - expand the "System devices."

I assume that you reinstalled the (3) Drivers:
1. Realtek Function driver Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition
2. Intel Intel INF installation
3. Realtek Realtek PCIe LAN Driver
*. {Duplicated (see #1) don't install; if installed uninstall} - Microsoft Microsoft UAA (Universal Audio Architecture) Bus driver (Full Multi-language version )

Just checking, I assume that you connected both the 24-pin ATX main power connector & 4-pin ATX 12V power connector power to the MOBO.

catalan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010

Interesting I'll post it tonight when I get home from work. I'm certain the pci nic card shows up in the device manager, but I'll check again.

catalan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010

Yes I checked those cause I read someone w/ the same problem had that loose and it fixed the problem.

In your previous post on #3 realtek pciE LAN driver if installed uninstall. Did you mean the pciE driver or the uaa?