Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ep35-ds3l no nic

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 23, 2010 11:38:49 AM

Finally got time to put together the parts I bought awhile back, but now the problem is after a fresh install of winxp and the ep35-ds3l chipset drivers I don't have anything in network connections besides 1394. I've tried google to find if others have had this problem, but no method has worked for me so far.

More about : ep35 ds3l nic

a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2010 1:59:27 PM

Hi there,

Please give the group more information about your new computer system, CPU, HDD, Graphics Card, any Network Interface Device periperal card, amount and type of RAM.

Also does your system POST, and go through the System Setup, Boot loader, OS Loading, to the desktop?

If your system does POST, click on del to get to the System Setup, and look on the Integrated Peripherals sheet, at the LAN choices. If you have no add in NIC, the Onboard H/W Lan should be set to "Enabled", and onboard LAN boot ROM to "Disabled".

If both are set properly, and you can boot up tothe desktop, Right click on "My Computer, to the System Properties dialog box, and choose "Hardware", then "Device Manager" . Look down the list to find Network Adapters, where you should find the LAN ethernet device and the 1394 firewire hardware. The 1394 should be listed and working properly as you mentioned. See if the LAN connection also listed there is working, or has a Yellow icon or Red X thru it meaning it is not installed. Depending on what you find, it may be just redetecting the NIC, or letting windows install the network drivers.
m
0
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
August 23, 2010 2:38:44 PM

Download and extract this zip file to a location you can keep track of...

Follow John's instruction through checking device manager. If your LAN hardware doesn't appear, skip next ('uninstall') step. If it does appear (will need to expand "Network Adapters" entry to see it...), right click on it, and choose 'Uninstall'. Go to the extracted directory ("PCIE_Install_5764_08192010") and double click on the 'setup.exe' file to run the RealTek LAN driver installer. Reboot, and your LAN should appear.

If not, post back and I'll try to find you a diagnostic procedure - unfortunately, though RealTek make an excellent diagnostic tool for their LAN chips, it's a Vista-based install - may take a bit of twiddling to figure something out to work on Xp...
m
0
l
Related resources
August 23, 2010 8:31:12 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi there,

Please give the group more information about your new computer system, CPU, HDD, Graphics Card, any Network Interface Device periperal card, amount and type of RAM.

Also does your system POST, and go through the System Setup, Boot loader, OS Loading, to the desktop?

If your system does POST, click on del to get to the System Setup, and look on the Integrated Peripherals sheet, at the LAN choices. If you have no add in NIC, the Onboard H/W Lan should be set to "Enabled", and onboard LAN boot ROM to "Disabled".

If both are set properly, and you can boot up tothe desktop, Right click on "My Computer, to the System Properties dialog box, and choose "Hardware", then "Device Manager" . Look down the list to find Network Adapters, where you should find the LAN ethernet device and the 1394 firewire hardware. The 1394 should be listed and working properly as you mentioned. See if the LAN connection also listed there is working, or has a Yellow icon or Red X thru it meaning it is not installed. Depending on what you find, it may be just redetecting the NIC, or letting windows install the network drivers.


My comp specs are:

cpu e7200
mb gigabyte ep35-d3sl
hdd samsung hd502hj
gpu sapphire 4850 512
ram gskill 2x2gb ddr2 pc8000
psu corsair 520hx
os winxp

im able to boot up into windows just fine and install the chipset drivers, but it doesnt detect any network connection besides the 1394. ill go through the procedure yall listed and ill post back later. thanks for the help
m
0
l
August 23, 2010 9:40:55 PM

bilbat said:
Download and extract this zip file to a location you can keep track of...

Follow John's instruction through checking device manager. If your LAN hardware doesn't appear, skip next ('uninstall') step. If it does appear (will need to expand "Network Adapters" entry to see it...), right click on it, and choose 'Uninstall'. Go to the extracted directory ("PCIE_Install_5764_08192010") and double click on the 'setup.exe' file to run the RealTek LAN driver installer. Reboot, and your LAN should appear.

If not, post back and I'll try to find you a diagnostic procedure - unfortunately, though RealTek make an excellent diagnostic tool for their LAN chips, it's a Vista-based install - may take a bit of twiddling to figure something out to work on Xp...


okay so i installed those drivers and at the end it says, "the realtek ethernet controller was not found. if deep sleep mode is enabled. please plug the cable."

i went to integrated peripherals in the BIOS and h/w lan/onboard lan etc doesnt show up only thing similar is SMART Lan and when i go into that the page is blank. also the h/w doesnt show up in network adapters.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2010 10:34:55 PM

Hi again,

Just want to make sure that on the Integrated Peripheral page of your BIOS, just above the SMART LAN, the 9th item, you are not? seeing ONBOARD H/W LAN, as a line item, which should be "enabled", and in the Device Manager, Hardware, you are not seeing any Network adapter recognized?

On the POST page of your BIOS, what is the BIOS version number? The latest is F6, from 6/19/10. Could you have flashed the BIOS previously?

If your BIOS isn't recognizing the H/W LAN as an onboard HW device, there inlies the problem, since it is an onboard H/W device controlled by the single RTL 8111B chip.

Are you comfortable FLASHING the BIOS using the Q-Flash applet <F8> in the System Setup, to load the latest BIOS version? If the newest BIOS Version doesn't list the ONBOARD H/W LAN, then possibly the LAN controller chip is defective.

There is another way around this, but obtaining the latest BIOS would be the next step. Let's see if Bill has any other sage thoughts in this unusual situation.
m
0
l
August 24, 2010 2:01:37 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi again,

Just want to make sure that on the Integrated Peripheral page of your BIOS, just above the SMART LAN, the 9th item, you are not? seeing ONBOARD H/W LAN, as a line item, which should be "enabled", and in the Device Manager, Hardware, you are not seeing any Network adapter recognized?

On the POST page of your BIOS, what is the BIOS version number? The latest is F6, from 6/19/10. Could you have flashed the BIOS previously?

If your BIOS isn't recognizing the H/W LAN as an onboard HW device, there inlies the problem, since it is an onboard H/W device controlled by the single RTL 8111B chip.

Are you comfortable FLASHING the BIOS using the Q-Flash applet <F8> in the System Setup, to load the latest BIOS version? If the newest BIOS Version doesn't list the ONBOARD H/W LAN, then possibly the LAN controller chip is defective.

There is another way around this, but obtaining the latest BIOS would be the next step. Let's see if Bill has any other sage thoughts in this unusual situation.


in SMART LAN, i dont see anything listed in it and in device manager under network adapters, the only thing listed is 1394. i havent flashed the bios since i received the board last year and im almost certain it's an older version. unfortunately, the only experience i have with flashing bios is with winflash which was years ago on my current amd 754 setup.
m
0
l
August 24, 2010 2:38:06 AM

just an update currently flashing to the latest bios using q-flash. was a pretty simple process. ill keep yall posted on how it goes afterwards.

alright so i just got finished flashing and installed the lan drivers and it tells me the same thing earlier, "the realtek ethernet controller was not found. if deep sleep mode is enabled. please plug the cable." went into bios and still nothing is listed in SMART LAN besides virtual cable test.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2010 3:23:13 PM

There are several reports on the discussion boards about this same problem, the Realtek LAN chip not being recognized by the BIOS, with the exact same error msg ""the realtek ethernet controller was not found. if deep sleep mode is enabled. please plug the cable."

Many different drivers, uninstalling, reinstalling, using the native Windows drivers were tried without success.
Gigabyte has even offered suggestions, none of which have worked.

There were two successful steps reported, which are worth trying. One is to unplug your computer, take out the CMOS battery, and wait 5 minutes. Then replace the battery, and boot up using the "Default" CMOS settings. This sets the CMOS back to its default settings. See if the "Onboard H/S LAN is now visible on the System Setup Integrated Peripherals page.

The other was on reformatting the HDD and reinstalling Windows. That person also had Ubuntu installed in a partition, which he wondered if it was a factor. However this has nothing to do with Windows, it's a hardware recognition problem in the System Initialization before the System Config step. The onboard LAN should be recognized in the BIOS without any HDD or OS installed.

Why not give the first choice a try, shutting down, unplugging the computer, removing the battery, waiting 5 min, reinstalling the battery. Also you might just disconnect all hard drives, DVD drives, USB drives, Flash drives, leaving only the Keyboard P/S2 connected.
Then boot up to the POST System Setup <del> and see if the LAN is listed.

If not, since this is a new build for you, send the board back for RMA replacement, or consider a more recent Gigabyte board that your components would function on.
m
0
l
August 24, 2010 10:14:09 PM

I've tried reformatting several times already and I tried removing the battery/ram, while letting it sit for a bit. I haven't tried unplugging hdd, optical drives, etc. Ill do that next.
m
0
l
August 25, 2010 3:53:04 AM

ugh nothing works hopefully the NIC card i have coming in tomorrow works.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 2:47:16 PM

That is the "other" option, adding a PCI or PCI-E Network Interface Card, and using it for Networking.

Since this is a new Gigabyte Motherboard, why not RMA it to Gigabyte and get a MB that does not have a defective controller chip. You've done everything reasonable to test it out properly. Will take a couple weeks.

Then you will be starting out with a fully functional MB. Motherboards are not like wine, they never get better with age.
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 7:56:59 PM

Brakes on - Why would you purchase another NIC?? Your GA-EP35-DS3L MOBO has an integrated NIC that "should" work just fine.

D/L and install ALL of the drivers in this link:
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_...

In addition, there is a "Realtek Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility" - run it to check what problems it finds if any.
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 8:13:31 PM

Great website!!!!! {this zip file} - tried to insert a Trojan - spiffy! :non: 
m
0
l
August 25, 2010 8:20:46 PM

jaquith said:
Brakes on - Why would you purchase another NIC?? Your GA-EP35-DS3L MOBO has an integrated NIC that "should" work just fine.

D/L and install ALL of the drivers in this link:
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_...

In addition, there is a "Realtek Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility" - run it to check what problems it finds if any.


ive already tried installing all the drivers and the diagnostic utility didnt work. all it had when i installed it was a general tab with nothing in it.
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 8:27:48 PM

Try deleting the 1394 in the Device Manager + click Scan for Changes. It seems your missing NIC is the "1394" and somehow the driver became mis-configured - your MOBO has NO on-board 1394 {firewire}. If possible take a screen shot of the Device Manager tree & post here.


Next, if that fails then you'll need to "Manually" install the correct driver. Run the [motherboard_driver_lan_realtek_8111.exe] and note the location. In the Device Manager right-click the "1394" and select "Update Driver" -> select "no not this time" + click Next -> select {Advanced} and look for the location of the Realtek folder and select the appropriate driver...

Q - Any "?" unknown devices present in the tree?

Q - What SP of XP did you install?

BTW - Is this an OEM version of XP or did it come from somewhere else. "IF" it did come from somewhere else then Microsoft posts a fresh + clean version of XP SP3.
MS XP SP3 ISO - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 10:29:44 PM

Jaquith is absolutely right - there is no 1394 port on this motherboard!

So possibly deleting the 1394 entry in the Device Manager will permit the BIOS in recognizing the Network controller properly.
Wouldln't that be interesting!

Is there any easy way to post a screen shot or image on this discussion group, without first uploading it to a file sharing web site and then inserting the URL as a link?
m
0
l
August 26, 2010 12:33:25 AM

Well when I went for a fresh installl of winxpsp3 the 1394 doesn't even show up anymore which is weird. Nic card came in and inet works on it. I wouldve tried deleting the 1394 if it was still there lol, but when I get home tonight I'll take a pic of device manager and post it for you guys.
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 26, 2010 12:53:21 AM

A little confused - I "assume" the "new" NIC card works fine, 1394 is gone now because you reinstalled XPSP3 from the ISO - so "if" everything installed correctly you "should" have (2) NICs in the tree. "If" that's the case then return the new NIC ($) and use the on-board. Problem solved...

Q - I guessed you used an XP CD from another rig; this can cause all sorts of issues "if" the CD is scripted for a particular PC (the worst example is a notebook with 1-off drivers).

m
0
l
August 26, 2010 1:40:09 AM

Yeah the xp cd was originally sp1 from an old comp and I slipstreamed sp3 onto it. Well even after the fresh install before installing the new nic card there wasn't anything listed in nic or network adapters under device manager
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 26, 2010 2:18:37 AM

You can manually add the NIC - open Control Panel, open Add Hardware and go through the dialog.

Duh - so neither the on-board or PCI NIC are present - interesting... Yep, I'd like to see the Device Manager tree - expand the "System devices."

I assume that you reinstalled the (3) Drivers:
1. Realtek Function driver Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition
2. Intel Intel INF installation
3. Realtek Realtek PCIe LAN Driver
*. {Duplicated (see #1) don't install; if installed uninstall} - Microsoft Microsoft UAA (Universal Audio Architecture) Bus driver (Full Multi-language version )

Just checking, I assume that you connected both the 24-pin ATX main power connector & 4-pin ATX 12V power connector power to the MOBO.
m
0
l
August 26, 2010 2:30:45 AM

jaquith said:
You can manually add the NIC - open Control Panel, open Add Hardware and go through the dialog.

Duh - so neither the on-board or PCI NIC are present - interesting... Yep, I'd like to see the Device Manager tree - expand the "System devices."

I assume that you reinstalled the (3) Drivers:
1. Realtek Function driver Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition
2. Intel Intel INF installation
3. Realtek Realtek PCIe LAN Driver
*. {Duplicated (see #1) don't install; if installed uninstall} - Microsoft Microsoft UAA (Universal Audio Architecture) Bus driver (Full Multi-language version )


Interesting I'll post it tonight when I get home from work. I'm certain the pci nic card shows up in the device manager, but I'll check again.
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 26, 2010 2:32:42 AM

edited above/added - Just checking, I assume that you connected both the 24-pin ATX main power connector & 4-pin ATX 12V power connector power to the MOBO.
m
0
l
August 26, 2010 2:49:38 AM

jaquith said:
edited above/added - Just checking, I assume that you connected both the 24-pin ATX main power connector & 4-pin ATX 12V power connector power to the MOBO.


Yes I checked those cause I read someone w/ the same problem had that loose and it fixed the problem.

In your previous post on #3 realtek pciE LAN driver if installed uninstall. Did you mean the pciE driver or the uaa?
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 26, 2010 4:37:31 AM

Sorry, correct I meant the Microsoft Microsoft UAA because even though it is included in the Realtek package, installation of "both" has caused some issues in the past. Why? - I don't know, but removing it fixed another driver issue (go figure).
m
0
l
August 26, 2010 5:29:28 AM

So install the realtek function driver w/ uaa, intel inf and pcie LAN driver?

**update**

drivers i have installed:


device manager and network connections w/o the nic card in


and device manager and network connections w/ the nic card in


Only drivers I installed were the Intel INF, pciE LAN driver and the Realtek Function Driver w/ UAA.
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 26, 2010 3:33:48 PM

As I mentioned it's familiar - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/278485-12-gigabyte-...

I am "assuming" that your running XPSP3 32-bit? If not don't use the following GPU driver link AND please post if you're running 64-bit...

I noticed that you may have "tweaked" your BIOS, and if that's the case please restart, get into the BIOS, Load Optimized Defaults, and Exit & Save.

First (easy), update the GPU driver (ATI HD 4xxx/XP 32-bit) - http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/ra...

Next, restart after the GPU fix and "if" the "? Audio" or any "? devices" are present delete them via the Device Manager and Scan for updated HW. In addition, with the second LAN installed update the right-click Update driver -> select yes, this time only and update.

Please expand the "Sound, video and game controllers" - tree and upload image. ~my guesses are the on-board LAN is now being recognized as the "Audio device" and the BIOS setting "may" be interfering with proper recognition of the device.

For reference:
LAN = RTL 8111B chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
AUDIO = Realtek ALC888
GPU = ATI/AMD HD 4850 series
m
0
l
August 26, 2010 9:02:10 PM

SS of Audio, video and game controllers.

m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 26, 2010 9:55:06 PM

Okay, you've installed the ATI which picked-up on "its" audio driver. So far good. Worst case you have a very clean system with a purchased NIC.

Lastly, you'll probably need to "manually add" the missing on-board NIC; sometimes initializing it from a variety of methods corrects the problem (registry corruption/initialization errors) (see MS Troubleshooting link). First, run Windows Update.

Then run GA's DriverAgent - http://www.driveragent.com/gigabytepromo.php ; the "printed" version is more helpful. The only reason I suggest this is solely to see if it can be detected.

MS Troubleshooting - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825826
m
0
l
August 26, 2010 10:43:50 PM

I'll do that when I get home from work I rly appreciate the help
m
0
l
August 27, 2010 6:32:14 AM

okay so i went through all those steps, updated windows/drivers and did the ms troubleshooting. No dice, I really appreciate yall trying to help me, hopefully the OC makes up for the faulty onboard lan.
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 27, 2010 3:24:50 PM

Good luck with the OC and I wish that NIC could have worked.

After installing a clean OS you should be fine, and thanks!
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2010 3:54:06 PM

Hi again,

Been meticulously observing all the steps both of you have been trying to get the onboard LAN to function. Very thorough, learned a lot.

If you are going to reinstall the OS and essentially start with a clean install, you should seriously consider RMA ing this motherboard, and in a week or so you will have a new Gigabyte motherboard that has all its components functioning properly. Then you won't have to always think about accepting a less than perfect main board.
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 27, 2010 4:20:25 PM

More than likely its a corrupted registry entry ~ problably caused "if" the BIOS was set to anything other than "Load Optimized..." upon installing the OS. If the OP goes into the registry the OP will find a "garbage entry" ~ cause by an initialization failure of the NIC. This is not so uncommon, but it is terribly frustrating.

HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network

All meaning - if the OP does RMA than GA more than likely will send it back "as-is" to the OP...
m
0
l
August 28, 2010 6:30:31 AM

BIOS was set to load optimized defaults on every install of the OS
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 28, 2010 3:22:58 PM

I read some of the above BIOS "recommendations" - still it is more than likely being caused by an initialization failure that in-turn more than likely corrupted a registry.

It isn't anything you did wrong, it is indeed a problem in the MOBO but I know GA...and they can probably get it to signal with their testing equipment that doesn't rely on software/OS.

An unrelated but similar example was from yesterday - some poster had an issue with their HDMI, some said it was BIOS some/{me & GA} thought it was a configuration but what fixed it was to unplug and replug in the HDMI which caused a reinitialization which fixed the problem. Your corrupted initialization mislead the OS to "think" the on-board NIC was a 1394.

Most of the people trying to help could probably fix most problems in a matter of minutes "if they were there", but often the OP forgets/overlooks "key" symptoms plus there can be 1 to many causes. LUCK to make the correct call in a sea of what ifs; like Dr. House.
m
0
l
August 30, 2010 4:55:17 AM

jaquith said:
I read some of the above BIOS "recommendations" - still it is more than likely being caused by an initialization failure that in-turn more than likely corrupted a registry.

It isn't anything you did wrong, it is indeed a problem in the MOBO but I know GA...and they can probably get it to signal with their testing equipment that doesn't rely on software/OS.

An unrelated but similar example was from yesterday - some poster had an issue with their HDMI, some said it was BIOS some/{me & GA} thought it was a configuration but what fixed it was to unplug and replug in the HDMI which caused a reinitialization which fixed the problem. Your corrupted initialization mislead the OS to "think" the on-board NIC was a 1394.

Most of the people trying to help could probably fix most problems in a matter of minutes "if they were there", but often the OP forgets/overlooks "key" symptoms plus there can be 1 to many causes. LUCK to make the correct call in a sea of what ifs; like Dr. House.


Well on a brighter note got it to 3.7ghz on 1.3v 24hrs p95 stable. It boots into windows at 3.8, but it needs more than 1.35 volts to be stable, which makes it a little too hot for vegas atm.



One thing I noticed during prime95 is that one core tests a tad slower than the other. They seem to switch off as which one runs slower, I don't know if this is a cause for concern.

m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 30, 2010 2:46:27 PM

Very cool, keep the MOBO.
m
0
l
December 22, 2010 1:54:13 AM

Hate to wake up a dead thread, but I just had the same problem and this thread helped me fix it, figured I'd post my details to help the next guy. tl;dr: unplug the computer and remove the CMOS battery for a bit

I have a GA-EP35-DS3L with a 3.0GHz E3400 Wolfdale and 2x2GB 1066 DDR2 RAM that has run WinXP x64 without a hitch for two and a half years. I ran it today uneventfully for an hour, put it to sleep to eat, and when I woke the computer up, Windows reported the network cable was unplugged. After a few minutes plugging and replugging other computers, I was satisfied the wires and connections were good, but I couldn't even get a link light, either from the computer or the switch, so I rebooted.

When Windows came back up, without having made a single hardware change, I had the OP's problem: no Local Area Connection in the Network Connections folder, and no "Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC" under Network adapters in Device Manager. Of course, reinstalling the driver produced the same "The realtek ethernet controller was not found. If deep sleep mode is enabled. Please plug the cable." message others have gotten. Worse yet, the "Onboard H/W LAN" option had vanished from the BIOS, and the SMART LAN option was broken, only leading to a blank menu.

Resetting the BIOS defaults in software or by using the "CMOS Reset" jumper on the mobo didn't help. However, pulling the CMOS battery (!!) for five minutes did the trick. I don't know what that erases that the internal reset misses, but the option to enable/disable the LAN was back in the BIOS, the SMART LAN option was measured cable length as normal, and Windows saw the hardware again. I'm glad that worked, I hate reinstalling Windows.
m
0
l
!