Have 2 Drives but 1 Won't Boot

ratdart

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hello. I am new to the forums here but I didn't find the exact answer I needed in any of the topics.

I built a computer back in 2009 but parted it out for money. The only items I have left are a hard drive and the case.

I also have a family computer that I have had since 2007 or 2008. It has windows Vista on it. I had XP on the computer I built. Both hard drives have been hooked up for 2 years however just today I tried to see if my XP one would boot.

When I change the boot order in the bios screen it will not startup windows xp on this computer. Startup Repair opened but nothing could be done and the computer shut itself off.

When I switched the boot order back to what it had always been(and worked perfectly everytime) I still had to go to startup repair and it restored it to a point about 2 days ago.

I can access my other drive that has XP on it through my computer in vista but nothing else.

I am currently looking to build another computer and use that same hard drive in it. What should I do with the hard drive to make sure I can use it in my new rig? I have no files that I need and I already have a new copy of windows 7 waiting to be installed. anything I can do to make that hard drive "fresh" and make sure I can use it in my new rig? thanks!