Memory installation on ThinkPad R51 - hard to do?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 1, 2004 7:56:52 AM

After a lot of research, I'm focusing on the ThinkPad R51 for my
laptop purchase. This will be my first laptop.

The R51 comes with 256 MB RAM. IBM will install an additional 256 MB
for $90. But I can buy a 512 MB chip online for just a little bit
more.

The online documentation for the R51 on the IBM site has explicit
directions for putting a memory chip in. It doesn't look too
difficult, but I'd like to find out from those who have the R51 or a
similar model if there are any "gotchas." I'm not real swift at
hardware mods; my experience is limited to installing a hard drive in
my desktop and putting additional memory into my elderly HP Laserjet
printer.

Thanks!

Sara
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
August 1, 2004 7:56:53 AM

I added memory to my r32. A chimp could do it. Piece of cake.

"Sara" <zzz@nospam.com> wrote in message
> After a lot of research, I'm focusing on the ThinkPad R51 for my
> laptop purchase. This will be my first laptop.
>
> The R51 comes with 256 MB RAM. IBM will install an additional 256 MB
> for $90. But I can buy a 512 MB chip online for just a little bit
> more.
>
> The online documentation for the R51 on the IBM site has explicit
> directions for putting a memory chip in. It doesn't look too
> difficult, but I'd like to find out from those who have the R51 or a
> similar model if there are any "gotchas." I'm not real swift at
> hardware mods; my experience is limited to installing a hard drive in
> my desktop and putting additional memory into my elderly HP Laserjet
> printer.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sara

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
August 1, 2004 5:17:13 PM

"Dave Morrell" typed:

> I added memory to my r32. A chimp could do it. Piece of cake.

Don't IBM laptops have heat related problems or something to that
effect?

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
a b D Laptop

None that I've ever heard of; are you saying the IBM memory will somehow
generate less heat than a third-party brand?

"Ayaz Ahmed Khan" <resilient@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.08.01.04.44.57.488851.1914@home.mdk-9.0...
> "Dave Morrell" typed:
>
> > I added memory to my r32. A chimp could do it. Piece of cake.
>
> Don't IBM laptops have heat related problems or something to that
> effect?
>
> --
> Ayaz Ahmed Khan

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
August 2, 2004 5:49:27 PM

"Chip Orange" typed:

> None that I've ever heard of; are you saying the IBM memory will
> somehow generate less heat than a third-party brand?

I have used only two IBM ThinkPad laptops, both of which had some
sort of heat-related issues. One had an open heat exhaust vent -- or
whatever it is called -- on one of its sides, which made it difficult to hold
the laptop with both hands. The other had issues with heat damaging
the LCD display whenever the screen was left closed with the laptop
running. And that's the reason why I'm keeping myself from buying
IBM ThinkPad laptops.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
Anonymous

"Ayaz Ahmed Khan" <resilient@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.08.01.16.48.18.181345.2828@home.mdk-9.0...
> "Chip Orange" typed:
>
> > None that I've ever heard of; are you saying the IBM memory will
> > somehow generate less heat than a third-party brand?
>
> I have used only two IBM ThinkPad laptops, both of which had some
> sort of heat-related issues. One had an open heat exhaust vent -- or
> whatever it is called -- on one of its sides, which made it difficult to
hold
> the laptop with both hands. The other had issues with heat damaging
> the LCD display whenever the screen was left closed with the laptop
> running. And that's the reason why I'm keeping myself from buying
> IBM ThinkPad laptops.
>
> --
> Ayaz Ahmed Khan
> You're the first person to mention the 2nd issue that I've ever heard of.

As for the first, you seem to be complaining that there's a vent to aid in
head dissipation. How do you think they are supposed to solve the 2nd issue
if they don't add vents to the ThinkPad?
August 2, 2004 11:44:23 PM

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:49:01 -0500, "Dave Morrell"
<nospamdmorrell@mail.com> wrote:

>I added memory to my r32. A chimp could do it. Piece of cake.

Finally, a job I'm overqualified for! ;-)

Thanks for your response.

Sara
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
August 3, 2004 4:11:03 AM

> Ayaz Ahmed Khanwrote:
I have used only two IBM ThinkPad laptops, both of which had some
> sort of heat-related issues. One had an open heat exhaust vent --
or
> whatever it is called -- on one of its sides, which made it
difficult to hold
> the laptop with both hands. The other had issues with heat
damaging
> the LCD display whenever the screen was left closed with the laptop
> running. And that's the reason why I'm keeping myself from buying
> IBM ThinkPad laptops.
Please do us all a BIG favor and continue
to refrain from purchasing a Thinkpad.

Regards,

James

==============
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
August 3, 2004 1:49:10 PM

The R50p hast two locations to add memory, one is a lid attached by a
screw on the bottom, the other one requires the keyboard to be taken
off (I found out after I had disassembled half the unit...). If the
R51 is the same, and you need to have access to the memory slot
underneath the keyboard, unscrew the screws which have a keyboard icon
on the bottom of it, then slide the keyboard towards the screen, and
finally push it up with a small screw driver through one of the holes
from the bottom.

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 19:44:23 GMT, zzz@nospam.com (Sara) wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:49:01 -0500, "Dave Morrell"
><nospamdmorrell@mail.com> wrote:
>
>>I added memory to my r32. A chimp could do it. Piece of cake.
>>

>Finally, a job I'm overqualified for! ;-)
>
>Thanks for your response.
>
>Sara
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
August 3, 2004 6:59:07 PM

"Chip Orange" typed:

> "Ayaz Ahmed Khan" wrote:
>> I have used only two IBM ThinkPad laptops, both of which had some
>> sort of heat-related issues. One had an open heat exhaust vent --
>> or whatever it is called -- on one of its sides, which made it
>> difficult to hold the laptop with both hands. The other had
>> issues with heat damaging the LCD display whenever the screen was
>> left closed with the laptop running. And that's the reason why
>> I'm keeping myself from buying IBM ThinkPad laptops.
>>
> You're the first person to mention the 2nd issue that I've ever
> heard of.
>
> As for the first, you seem to be complaining that there's a vent to
> aid in head dissipation. How do you think they are supposed to
> solve the 2nd issue if they don't add vents to the ThinkPad?

Not exactly that there's a vent to aid in heat dissipation, but that
there's a vent along one of the sides that blows heat continually and
that makes it difficult to pick-up the laptop. I haven't seen open
exhaust vents along the sides of other laptops.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
Anonymous

Ayaz Ahmed Khan <resilient@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Not exactly that there's a vent to aid in heat dissipation, but that
> there's a vent along one of the sides that blows heat continually and

There's one at the far right side of my TP X24 .. what's the matter
with it? There's no heat coming out of it right now. These things only
blow at the temperature of the disk or cpu anyway, when they blow, and
that's about 45C. I can't really see how your hand would get there
either!

Normally the TP cools fine without fan.

> that makes it difficult to pick-up the laptop. I haven't seen open
> exhaust vents along the sides of other laptops.

The one I have is not in the way of anything. It's about 1in from the
back. And it doesn't blow continually. And when it blows, it isn't
uncomfortable.

Peter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
August 4, 2004 1:51:13 AM

"Ayaz Ahmed Khan" <resilient@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.08.03.04.52.15.218037.2109@home.mdk-9.0...
> "Chip Orange" typed:
>
> > "Ayaz Ahmed Khan" wrote:
> >> I have used only two IBM ThinkPad laptops, both of which had some
> >> sort of heat-related issues. One had an open heat exhaust vent --
> >> or whatever it is called -- on one of its sides, which made it
> >> difficult to hold the laptop with both hands. The other had
> >> issues with heat damaging the LCD display whenever the screen was
> >> left closed with the laptop running. And that's the reason why
> >> I'm keeping myself from buying IBM ThinkPad laptops.
> >>
> > You're the first person to mention the 2nd issue that I've ever
> > heard of.
> >
> > As for the first, you seem to be complaining that there's a vent to
> > aid in head dissipation. How do you think they are supposed to
> > solve the 2nd issue if they don't add vents to the ThinkPad?
>
> Not exactly that there's a vent to aid in heat dissipation, but that
> there's a vent along one of the sides that blows heat continually and
> that makes it difficult to pick-up the laptop. I haven't seen open
> exhaust vents along the sides of other laptops.
>
> --
> Ayaz Ahmed Khan

Mine, an A31, only seems to take up about 1/4 of the length of the side (at
one end) and doesn't seem to interfere with handling it; even when I place
my hand directly against it the air is only slightly warm, and not at all
uncomfortable.

Chip
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
August 5, 2004 2:22:45 AM

"Chip Orange" typed:

> Mine, an A31, only seems to take up about 1/4 of the length of the
> side (at one end) and doesn't seem to interfere with handling it;
> even when I place my hand directly against it the air is only
> slightly warm, and not at all uncomfortable.

The air blowing out of the vent was uncomfortably hot, though not
scalding hot. And for some reason the vent was situated where the
hand would normally go to pick the laptop up -- since I hadn't noticed
it until I picked it up.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
Anonymous

"P.T. Breuer" typed:

> The one I have is not in the way of anything. It's about 1in from
> the back. And it doesn't blow continually. And when it blows, it
> isn't uncomfortable.

I used it for less than an hour, editing C++ code for a friend to
whom the laptop belonged, and I noticed the vent kept blowing continually.

It may be possible, however, that there might have been something
wrong with the two ThinkPads I used, since my experience seemed
unheard-of among ThinkPad users here.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
Anonymous

Ayaz Ahmed Khan <resilient@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> "P.T. Breuer" typed:
>
> > The one I have is not in the way of anything. It's about 1in from
> > the back. And it doesn't blow continually. And when it blows, it
> > isn't uncomfortable.
>
> I used it for less than an hour, editing C++ code for a friend to
> whom the laptop belonged, and I noticed the vent kept blowing continually.

Well, what process was runningt the cpu at 100% ? Look and see. Sounds
like a polling keyboard input routine!

> It may be possible, however, that there might have been something
> wrong with the two ThinkPads I used, since my experience seemed
> unheard-of among ThinkPad users here.

Or it may be that you had the cpu set to run at max continually. Or it
may be that you had the fans set to blow .. you can look and tell!

Peter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
August 5, 2004 2:22:52 AM

Ayaz Ahmed Khan <resilient@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> "P.T. Breuer" typed:
>
> > The one I have is not in the way of anything. It's about 1in from
> > the back. And it doesn't blow continually. And when it blows, it
> > isn't uncomfortable.
>
> I used it for less than an hour, editing C++ code for a friend to
> whom the laptop belonged, and I noticed the vent kept blowing continually.

And what was the surface on which you had it? Soft? Hard? TPs (and all
laptops that I know ..) get rid of heat via the bottom plate. When
that's not sufficient they turn on the fan.

BTW, the vent is 1" from the back because the usb port is beyond it
and I guess that's the only place for the heatpipe output back there -
the rest of the back end is covered with ports and jacks (this is a
12.1" machine).

> It may be possible, however, that there might have been something
> wrong with the two ThinkPads I used, since my experience seemed

I suspect you simply had it set to run at full CPU continuously and
had a proces run amuck and pushing the cpu at 100% and had it on a soft
surface with no airflow around it. TPs are no different than other
laptops!

> unheard-of among ThinkPad users here.

Peter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
August 5, 2004 2:22:55 AM

"JHEM" typed:

> Please do us all a BIG favor and continue to refrain from purchasing
> a Thinkpad.

You use a ThinkPad yourself, don't you?

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
Anonymous

"P.T. Breuer" typed:

> And what was the surface on which you had it? Soft? Hard? TPs (and
> all laptops that I know ..) get rid of heat via the bottom plate.
> When that's not sufficient they turn on the fan.

I had it placed on a hard, wooden surface.

> BTW, the vent is 1" from the back because the usb port is beyond it
> and I guess that's the only place for the heatpipe output back there
> - the rest of the back end is covered with ports and jacks (this is
> a 12.1" machine).

The back is a more convenient place to open a vent from, I think.

> I suspect you simply had it set to run at full CPU continuously and
> had a proces run amuck and pushing the cpu at 100% and had it on a
> soft surface with no airflow around it. TPs are no different than
> other laptops!

I don't know whether it had been set to run at full CPU continuously,
but the room I was in was hot. The laptop was placed on a wooden desk,
right below the room fan, though.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
Anonymous

"P.T. Breuer" typed:

> Ayaz Ahmed Khan <resilient@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> I used it for less than an hour, editing C++ code for a friend to
>> whom the laptop belonged, and I noticed the vent kept blowing
>> continually.
>
> Well, what process was runningt the cpu at 100% ? Look and see.
> Sounds like a polling keyboard input routine!

There was `Turbo C++' running in a DOS console from within XP, and, as far
as I have heard, TC is known to mop-up resources when run in a console
under Windows.

>> It may be possible, however, that there might have been something
>> wrong with the two ThinkPads I used, since my experience seemed
>> unheard-of among ThinkPad users here.
>
> Or it may be that you had the cpu set to run at max continually. Or
> it may be that you had the fans set to blow .. you can look and
> tell!

It is my friend's laptop, PT. And I don't have either him or it
around anymore. The University is reopening next week, and if he
brings his laptop along, I'll not forget to check it.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
Anonymous

Ayaz Ahmed Khan <resilient@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> "P.T. Breuer" typed:
>
> > Ayaz Ahmed Khan <resilient@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> >> I used it for less than an hour, editing C++ code for a friend to
> >> whom the laptop belonged, and I noticed the vent kept blowing
> >> continually.
> >
> > Well, what process was runningt the cpu at 100% ? Look and see.
> > Sounds like a polling keyboard input routine!
>
> There was `Turbo C++' running in a DOS console from within XP, and, as far

Indeed - I think TC applications under DOS do poll for keyboard IO.
That might explain it. Shoudl tell you not to use code generated by TC!

> as I have heard, TC is known to mop-up resources when run in a console
> under Windows.
>
> >> It may be possible, however, that there might have been something
> >> wrong with the two ThinkPads I used, since my experience seemed
> >> unheard-of among ThinkPad users here.
> >
> > Or it may be that you had the cpu set to run at max continually. Or
> > it may be that you had the fans set to blow .. you can look and
> > tell!
>
> It is my friend's laptop, PT. And I don't have either him or it
> around anymore. The University is reopening next week, and if he
> brings his laptop along, I'll not forget to check it.

OK.

But what on earth are you doing picking up the laptop by the back end? I
don't even see how you can since the keyboard starts about half an inch
from the back on my X24 and if you tried to pick it up there your thumb
would be all over the keys. I pick it up by the front.

Well, if I use two hands, one would be at right front, with grip on the
palmrest and bottom, and the other would be supporting at left back,
underneath. Neither anywhere near the fan vent at right back.

Peter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
August 5, 2004 10:35:20 PM

Ayaz Ahmed Khan <resilient@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> "P.T. Breuer" typed:
>
> > And what was the surface on which you had it? Soft? Hard? TPs (and
> > all laptops that I know ..) get rid of heat via the bottom plate.
> > When that's not sufficient they turn on the fan.
>
> I had it placed on a hard, wooden surface.
>
> > BTW, the vent is 1" from the back because the usb port is beyond it
> > and I guess that's the only place for the heatpipe output back there
> > - the rest of the back end is covered with ports and jacks (this is
> > a 12.1" machine).
>
> The back is a more convenient place to open a vent from, I think.

There isn't any space back there on mine. Hinges take up two and a half
inches, and the rest of the nine inches or so width is taken up by
ethernet port, modem port, usb port, vga port, power jack, and a couple
more sockets that are probably audio. And the connector for the docking
station is back there at bottom too. The fan vent is on the RHS one
inch from the back, with aother USB port being the onlything between it
and the back (X24). Seems like "The back" to me.

And I don't see how you can pick up a machine by the back end anyway,
since the keyboard is back there. The front end (the palm rest) is
where you can put your thumbs.

> > I suspect you simply had it set to run at full CPU continuously and
> > had a proces run amuck and pushing the cpu at 100% and had it on a
> > soft surface with no airflow around it. TPs are no different than
> > other laptops!
>
> I don't know whether it had been set to run at full CPU continuously,
> but the room I was in was hot. The laptop was placed on a wooden desk,
> right below the room fan, though.

OK

Peter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
August 6, 2004 4:34:16 PM

"P.T. Breuer" typed:

> Ayaz Ahmed Khan <resilient@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> The back is a more convenient place to open a vent from, I think.
>
> There isn't any space back there on mine. Hinges take up two and a
> half inches, and the rest of the nine inches or so width is taken up
> by ethernet port, modem port, usb port, vga port, power jack, and a
> couple more sockets that are probably audio. And the connector for
> the docking station is back there at bottom too. The fan vent is on
> the RHS one inch from the back, with aother USB port being the
> onlything between it and the back (X24). Seems like "The back" to
> me.
>
> And I don't see how you can pick up a machine by the back end
> anyway, since the keyboard is back there. The front end (the palm
> rest) is where you can put your thumbs.

I'm sorry. I think I confused the back end of the laptop with its
front end. If the front end is where the palm rest is, then the
vent was along the length of the palm rest, on the right-hand side.
As I said, the place one's hand would naturally go to when picking up
the laptop.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
Anonymous

"P.T. Breuer" typed:

> Ayaz Ahmed Khan <resilient@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> There was `Turbo C++' running in a DOS console from within XP, and,
>> as far
>
> Indeed - I think TC applications under DOS do poll for keyboard IO.
> That might explain it. Shoudl tell you not to use code generated by
> TC!

It was our semester project for the `Object Oriented Programming'
course, and the teacher had obstinately forced us to write
pre-standard code on TC. Otherwise, I don't use Windows.

I'll be getting a used Compaq laptop today -- my very first one. The
first thing I'll do when I get it is to erase Windows and put Linux on it.

> But what on earth are you doing picking up the laptop by the back
> end? I don't even see how you can since the keyboard starts about
> half an inch from the back on my X24 and if you tried to pick it up
> there your thumb would be all over the keys. I pick it up by the
> front.
>
> Well, if I use two hands, one would be at right front, with grip on
> the palmrest and bottom, and the other would be supporting at left
> back, underneath. Neither anywhere near the fan vent at right back.

I did pick it up from the front. Only, the vent was situated at the
front, too, along the right side. Which is why I was surprised, and
raised the issue here.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
Anonymous

"Ayaz Ahmed Khan" typed:

> Don't IBM laptops have heat related problems or something to that
> effect?

Contrary to the false impression I had of IBM ThinkPads, I bought
last Saturday a refurbished IBM T21 at a modest price. It's a P-III
(800 MHz), with 128-MB of RAM and 20-GB of hard-disk store, including
other specifications. I installed Slackware-9.1 on it, and except
of the Xircom Mini-PCI Modem for which I had to download a driver to
get it to work, found Slackware to easily adapt to the hardware.
Everything works, from ethernet device, sound card, video card, to even
the modem card. I have observed that Li-ion battery runs for a little
less than two hours after a 97% percent recharge. The only annoyance
with the battery is that after one hour of use, by which time the `apm'
shows battery status down to 55%, it suddenly drops to 10%. But if I
ignore the warning and continue to the laptop on battery, the battery
continues to supply power for another 45 minutes before suspending
the system and going down.

By the way, I noticed the coin screw was missing. I took out a screw
from my desktop's CPU and fixed it in the coin screw slot. Is that
okay?

Anyway, thanks for your replies and also for bearing with me.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
!