Hard drive not detected-

Big_papa_07

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hello All,

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop, and when it starts to load up, I immediately receive an "operating system not found" error. So I reload, I go into BIOS, and it shows no hard drive in the laptop whatsoever.

So i take it (HD) out and connect it to a different laptop with a SATA-USB cable. I'm still able to access the files/programs etc. on the HD. I've run CheckDrive on new laptop to look for errors on the "bad" HD while it was connected, but no errors were found... whats my next move?

(I replaced the HD and tried booting up again, same issue.)

Thanks!

Big_papa_07

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Not sure, I'm not the most tech-literate person, so I'm at a loss for what youre saying, sorry :(

Big_papa_07

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Ok, so bad motherboard = salvage what information i can to new computer from HD and move on, right?

Also, I've looked all through the BIOS menu and I cant find anything about controllers. First page(MAIN) shows comp. info (BIOS Version, Macine Name, Serial #, UUID) as well as showing no HDs found. Second page (ADVANCED) is for external boot drive (disabled) and network boot (disabled). Third page (SECURITY) is for machine password. And the last page (BOOT) allows me to change boot order for the machine... but thats it. All I can do from there is exit/save changes/default settings.

A quick google search for "enabling disk controller" was less than helpful as well.

Also, I appreciate the speedy response, thanks!