Overclocking and mosfet cooling on a Gigabyte ma78lmt-s2

ifreakyftw

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Hey guys, I've got a gigabyte ma78lmt-s2, and just installed my new coolermaster hyper 212 evo, I've been overclocking and got to about 3.7Ghz stable, but then decided to stop. My mosfets (VRM's) were at about 98-100c on full load under prime 95, is this bad and is there a way to fix this? Are there heatsinks for my motherboard? This is the only thing stopping me to further overclock, any help appreciated :D

sedativechunk

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I have a similar (almost same exact) Gigabyte motherboard as well as that same exact heat sink and I don't have that problem with my AMD at 3.8Ghz... hmm. Make sure you are getting good airflow and the entire system is getting enough air. I even bought a new SLI style cooler for the bottom of the case and a massive 120mm fan on the back. If you don't got good airflow you will easily see those kinds of temps.

Furthermore, did you increase the voltage at all? Voltage will cause dramatic heat spikes, you may need to lower the voltage somewhere if you increased it. 1.45v on the CPU is the sweetspot, if you are going above that you're too high, and nothing else (except maybe the northbridge controller for FSB) needs more voltage. Lastly, air flow again, make sure the fans you do got are going on max when testing.

ifreakyftw

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
It doesn't matter now thank you! I'm running at 3.9GHz now, and 1333MHz on my ram. I have ordered some copper passive heatsinks but they haven't came yet, mosfets are under about 88-96c on BF3 load. My cpu is at 1.440v (only stable) and I have a fan on my gpu that blows toward the mosfets, it dropped the temps by about 2-3c. When I get my heatsink I will push to atleast 4Ghz, that should be enough. Also getting 2 more case fans, thanks dude :)