Sign in with
Your question

Issues with coming out of sleep

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2010 3:24:47 AM

So, MSI's tech support is pretty much useless, unless I wanted to, I kid you not, fill out a form specifying every piece of hardware in my computer, which I really don't know because unfortunately I'm on a manufacturer's computer (*sob* I know. The shame).

Anyway, I've got an MSI ATI Radeon HD 4550, and every time my computer goes to sleep/shuts off the monitor, there's no way to wake it up except by pressing control-alt-delete, except in the case when it's at the login screen, in which case I have to correctly login to get it to wake up.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks.

This is the only problem I've ever had with ATI. Kind of saddening.

More about : issues coming sleep

January 18, 2010 3:32:41 AM

Maybe you set it to locking the computer? Which of course you would need to CORRECTLY login.
January 18, 2010 3:34:55 AM

... Eh? I don't think you understand the problem.

The screen is BLACK. I have multiple accounts on my computer. This can make it a tad difficult to figure out how to CORRECTLY login when I can't see what account is selected nor if I've typed an extra character or two.

Moving the mouse does not wake up the computer. THAT is the issue.
Related resources
January 18, 2010 3:37:28 AM

Try using driver sweeper to remove the drivers then redownload & reinstall off of AMD's website.
January 18, 2010 3:39:04 AM

Ahhh... But my internet is slow. Alright, will do, and I'll post my results when it's done.

And also, sorry if I came off a bit confrontational in the last post. Didn't mean too. Made myself look like a right ass, I did, though. Apologies.
January 18, 2010 3:49:16 AM

No problem, hard to interpret meaning over text.
January 18, 2010 4:20:56 AM

I had the exact same problem with my build. Intel i5 750 processor on Gigabyte P55A-UD4P motherboard, OCZ Vertex 60 GB SSD boot drive, XFX Radeon 5870 xxx version, Windows 7 Professional. Even powering down and restarting resulted in a black screen. (I thought maybe something had died). Trying powering down, unplugging the power supply, reconnecting and rebooting fixed it. I don't know the reason for the problem, but setting my power options to have the computer never enter sleep mode prevents the problem.
January 18, 2010 5:25:06 AM

Oh wow, not sure about the powering down. Mine will restart issuing output if it's restarted, fortunately.

I wiped my drivers, reinstalled, same issue. Might I also note that with the same drivers, using my onboard video (ATI Radeon HD 3200), I can wake it using any key.

I looked through the BIOS, but didn't find anything that seemed to fit. Not surprising, considering the manufacturer's BIOS. Wonder how much it would really cost them to have a decent BIOS on here.
!