TheGrunger

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I need to remove these bolts:

Front:
5bxn36.jpg

Back:
2dj6ngn.jpg

Any ideas how to do that? Is it even possible?
It would help me even if someone told me what are these bolts called, so that I can search for instructions myself.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not very clear in the picture, but they may be TORX heads. TORX are a screw head design with six lobes and they look like a star shape. check this Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

You can buy one TORX screwdriver, or a set of a few, because this design is made in several sizes (diameters of star). They have become common in lots of appliances, so you can get screwdrivers, or drivers that fit onto a ¼" drive socket set, or bits to fit those multi-tip screwdriver sets. I've seen heavier large-size bolts with Torx heads in automobile fasteners.

There is also a "security" variant that has a straight pin sticking up in the middle of the socket. Its intent was to prevent people who bought regular TORX tools from using them to unscrew these fasteners. To handle those you need a special version of the tool (surprise!) that has a hole drilled up in the middle of the screwdriver tip. These ones actually will work on both types of screw heads. On some of those "security" screws I have been able, using a good small straight-blade screwdriver, to break off the central pin in the screw head, allowing me to use my regular TORX screwdriver.

TheGrunger

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I found out these are just rivets, which I was afraid of.
Is there any "safe" way to cut them off or do I have to remove all the components before doing so? I need to remove an empty compartment to make more space. The compartment will be removed permanently, so it isn't a big deal if the holes are damaged after the process.

TheGrunger

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I removed two of the rivets, but compartment is still attached to the case in that place, like it's glued together. Could it be that it's somehow welded together beneath? It doesn't look at all like it's welded on surface.

TheGrunger

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Actually I later found two of the rivets in a place where it would be impossible to get close with any tool. So I think I'll just have to buy a new case.

About the two removed rivets - they were both on the same side of the metal plate, so the plate should move away from the case at least a little bit at that place when I "wobble it". The distance between removed rivets and the rest of them is enough big for plate to bend at least a little, there should appear some air between the case and the plate. But it doesn't, it's stuck on the case like it's glued on. Weird.