Prime95 Fatal error, OCing newcomer need help.

eosterik

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Currently running

p8z68 m pro
I5 2500k
Hyper 212 Evo
8g corsair vengeance ram

I am trying to overclock the CPU to 4.3 and I am having some issues with prime stability, I was using the "auto OC" built into the motherboard but after finally doing some reasearch I realized it was a stupid idea, for one it was setting the BLCK to 103.5 and the multiplier to 42 instead of just using 100 and 43, it was also using auto vcore voltage which was near 1.35. My current settings are

AI overclock tuner: Manual
Turbo Ratio: By per core
By Per Core: 43
Turbo: Disabled
CPU Ratio: 43
Internal PLL Overvoltage: Disabled
Memory Frequency: DDR3-1600Mhz
CPU Voltage: +0.040 (it only allows a + or - offset, the current offset has me sitting around 1.28-1.3 in CPUZ
DRAM Voltage: 1.550
Load Line Calibration: Disabled

The error is a rounding error.

Any thoughts? I have tried to self diagnose this problem which is why I raised the Dram voltage as that was a solution I heard, I am going to try raising the CPU voltage again but it is starting to get fairly high and my temps are already pretty high.

Getting ready to turn auto OC back on at this point as it was at least stable.

Thanks in advance

*edit* currently trying at +0.050 which puts me at 1.320v with drops to 1.312v if this is stable I will drop it by 0.005 and see what happens. I am assuming the error is from when the voltage drops like in this case it's dropping to 1.312, maybe it was dropping to an unstable voltage previously?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Less speed or more voltage. (or both) You could get a little more voltage under load by enabling load line calibration. (this will reduce voltage droop under load.) There are different levels. You want one that keeps your voltage relatively steady when loaded up, but not so high that it spikes your voltage to a level you think is too high, when switching between states or just idling.

Regarding the RAM: The IMC is rated up to 1333. Although people have ran memory faster than that with no problem, I would want to remove that as a variable. (If your ram is rated at 1600 it's less of a suspect.)

I don't like messing with ram speed unless I have a good idea of what the timings need to be, but if you have hit your personal safety thresholds, you could try backing the memory down to 1333 (just keep the 1600 timings) and see if that helps stability.

eosterik

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

I got it running seemingly stable by upping to +0.050, I didn't change ram timings I simply upped the voltage, should I maybe reset that? It's running right now fine but I don't want to damage anything. I might set it back to auto?

My ram itself is Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 so I assumed I was fine putting that setting in the bios (from DDR3-1333 to DDR3-1600) Maybe I am misunderstanding the setting.

My stable voltage is so high however it's kind of worrying, I am running roughly 1.28v with spikes to 1.36v which seems really high.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
1.28v is kind of high but well within specs. The 1.36v spikes are something I would try to bring down.

Try backing down your offset and increasing load line calibration, (just a little for each) and see if your voltages behave better. The lower voltage offset should bring down the "ceiling" and the load line calibration should bring up the "floor".

At the moment you are most likely overshooting your needed voltage and "drooping" into it when loaded up.

For 24/7 use, I would run the ram at 1333 and 1.5v even. I just don't think you will even notice the difference in anything other than benchmarks, so no real need to push it.

- Ai overclock set to XMP ,
- try Voltage RAM at 1.5v although your Ram default 1.65v
- BCLK 100
- Turbo Ratio: All core, Change manual mode if you want, (in option your mobo had : offsetmode & manual and mode offside sign will auto disable )
- VOLTAGE depend your chip which can get stable ( i had 4.5ghz stable at 1.25v with setting manual ) ,
Load Line Calibration : extreme/ultrahigh/high/regular,
- C1e/3/6 enabled
EIST disabled and spread spectrum Disabled, CPUID limit disabled

eosterik

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
So I should mention that I have a very awful motherboard for this because it

1) Doesn't have a LLC setting only enabled disabled or auto
2) Doesn't allow me to set the vcore voltage only allows me to set offsets.

I tried turning LLC on and could not get lower than 1.360v under load which was not something I am willing to run due to temps.

The lack of LLC control really bothers me since it is either very high or off completely.

For 24/7 use, I would run the ram at 1333 and 1.5v even. I just don't think you will even notice the difference in anything other than benchmarks, so no real need to push it.

I set both to auto right now, not sure if it was the best choice but I don't think I am knowledgeable enough of OCing to start playing with ram settings.

Due to the lack of voltage settings and Load line calibration settings I don't think these settings would end up working, would XMP still be a better choice? I have it on manual right now.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

If LLC drives your voltage that high, try lowering your offset voltage more. You may even need to use a negative offset to get it down where it needs to be. (This will bring that max voltage down.)

If you LLC is aggressive you have to be aggressive with your reductions in vcore to balance the final voltage.

It may not work, but it's kind of early to give up on it. (Without trying to compensate with your offset voltage)

What MB do you have?

eosterik

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

p8z68-m pro, I actually did try under-compensating but got a BSOD on startup, I will try again however with a less aggressive reduction, I went pretty aggressive to start.

I am trying -0.010 right now however I am still at 1.336v which I am under the impression is very high. This is while running a stress test on prime95 mind you.l

eosterik

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

I actually fail prime95 at lower than this voltage which really confuses me, it seems I have to run 1.3XXv or prime95 fails within 20 passes.

Could this just be because my chip is worn out or maybe I got unlucky with my chip?

*edit* BSOD at 1.336v reset bios and changed it back to auto OC then just adjusted the BLCK myself back too 1000.