Transfer windows from hdd to ssd

hnijhar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
k. i have a hdd with windows 7 installed and i have it set up with intel smart response technology with my ocz 64gb agility 3 ssd.
now i would like to copy my hdd to my ssd, so i can use windows 7 and all the programsetc on my ssd for faster speeed?
please help

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You can find lots of guides and videos on the net for this, and I just did this operation today.

I have a Toshiba T135 with 320GB mechanical hard drive in it. I bought an Intel 80GB SSD. I previously had bought a 2.5" external USB enclosure. I put the new SSD into the external enclosure and plugged it into the computer. I downloaded Easeus Total Backup, installed it and ran the disk clone option. It took a little over an hour to clone my drive. Then I shut down the laptop, removed the mechanical hard drive and put the SSD in its place. I turned on the laptop and it booted from the SSD.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

Reinstall is always the recommended method, if that is possible.

I have done that with a laptop and from that experience I found that it is very much easier if you can clone from the old drive to the new drive. When I reinstalled to a laptop before that machine wouldn't do anything. It wouldn't connect to a network, wifi didn't work, touchpad didn't work, even the NIC didn't work. I had to search and download drivers, put them on a flash drive, and transfer them that way. Then once I could get the NIC to work I could connect the machine to the internet and the search for drivers went a little bit easier. I just cloned another laptop this past weekend and it went very much faster than that reinstall process.

My wife has a laptop that came with software such as MS Office installed, and we don't have any media for reinstalling that software, so if I was going to upgrade her laptop I would have to clone it, or pay for the software again.