Your question

Memory stick went bad, what to do now?

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Crucial
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
August 23, 2010 4:19:36 PM

I recently discovered that one of my Crucial Ballistix memory sticks has gone bad. Originally, I had 4x1GB setup but am now running 3x1GB. I bought the memory stick years ago so they stopped selling that exact model.

What are your suggestions? I read something about not mixing and matching memory. I'd like to get back to 4GB of RAM. Below are my specs:

Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
Crucial Ballistix 4GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
eVGA 680i SLI (A1) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Western Digital 250GB

Should I purchase another 1GB stick of similar memory? If so, any suggestions of comparable RAM?
If I want to get back to 4GB will I need to purchase 4Gb of brand new memory?

Thanks in advance!

More about : memory stick bad

a c 128 } Memory
August 23, 2010 4:26:04 PM

No. I would purchase another brand with the same configuration. If your ram is single sided (all chips on one side only) and (for example) 64x256 then I would look for similar ram on pricewatch or even newegg. Also consider sending your old ram in for an rma to crucial. It won't take long to fill out the rma form online. The worst they can say is no within 24 hours.
m
l
August 23, 2010 6:11:22 PM

If you don't mind gambling, Buy 1 stick of faster memory with the same timings and try it out. worst case you lose the cash for 1 stick.
I have been lucky in that respect more than once.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2010 7:01:51 PM

I RMA's the stick but Crucial is sending me a replacement part that has different voltage then my other three sticks. The voltage on my current memory is 2.2V. The replace stick they are sending me is 2.0V. Is it okay to have 1 stick with 2.0V and 3 others with 2.2V? The timings, speed, etc. should be exactly the same.
m
l
a c 128 } Memory
August 25, 2010 8:09:25 PM

Just try it. I would even try the whole bunch at 2.0. Some boards overvolt the ram voltage slightly. The lower the voltage, the cooler they run.
m
l