Connect desktop to wireless router via ethernet cable

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I just installed my Jensen Airlink 29150 150 Mbps wireless router.

It's setup this way; Internet cable goes into my modem, a ethernet cable goes from the modem into the WAN port on the wireless router and finally a ethernet cable is connected from one of the LAN ports on the router to the LAN port on my desktop.

I've installed the wireless router to get online with my Wii console and I don't have a wireless usb adapter for my desktop, which is why I want to connect it via the ethernet cable.

When I try to connect to http://192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.1.x - tried everything from 1 to 9), nothing happens.

This is what I get when I run cmd->ipconfig/all:

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>ipconfigall

Windows IP-konfiguration

Værtsnavn. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : KÅMPJUDAR
Primært DNS-suffiks. . . . . . . . . . . . . :
Nodetype . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP-routing aktiveret . . . . . . . . . . . . : Nej
WINS-proxy aktiveret . . . . . . . . . . . . : Nej
Søgeliste for DNS-suffiks. . . . . . . . . . : intern.ka-net.dk

Ethernet-netværkskort LAN-forbindelse:

Forbindelsesspecifikt DNS-suffiks. . . . . . : intern.ka-net.dk
Beskrivelse. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Co
ntroller
Fysisk adresse . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F3-4C-52-29
Dhcp aktiveret . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ja
Automatisk konfiguration aktiveret . . . . . : Ja
IP-adresse . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.202.31.231
Undernetmaske. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
Standardgateway. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.202.16.1
DHCP-server. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.127.115
DNS-servere. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Rettigheden opnået . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 26. marts 2010 17:31:18
Rettigheden udløber. . . . . . . . . . . . . : 29. marts 2010 1532

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>

My internet is running fine and I can see the wireless router on my Wii - I just can't connect to it from either. I need access to the router menu to enable access for my Wii.

Hope you guys can help - thank :)

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Bleh a small update, something went askew and now I can only connect to the internet when the ethernet cable goes directly from my desktop to my modem - what the heck :/

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Since I can't edit:

Hmm, so my internet is NOT working when connected through the wireless router. I might have been wrong when i wrote it, or something has changed.

All symbols on both the modem and router are blinking, and when I connect my desktop to the router via ethernet it registers as being connected(ie. windows no longer tells me the ethernet cable is not connected), but I cant go online.

If I change my wireless router with some old 5 port switch hub, my internet works fine.

I suspect you have a combo DSL modem+router, and are attempting to connect the Airlink router to that, and that’s causing the problem. If so, you need to place the DSL modem+router in “bridge” mode. Then it will work.

[dsl modem+router (bridge mode)]<-- wire -->[airlink router]<-- wire -->[computer]

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
you might be right - I honestly am not sure. The modem had a previous owner, and it basically just came with the house :)

When I look at my connections in windows this is what I get: http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9907/connectionsd.jpg

You mean I have to select these two connections and bridge them together?

Note; these two connections are how my internet has always been, the second one didn't come when I plugged in the router.

And thanks for your help - I really appreciate it! :)

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
And also - exactly how should everything be connected?

I just tried selecting the two connections and bridging them - that left with with a 3rd connection, labelled network bridge - and then one of the old connections told me the cable wasn't connected.

No, I'm not referring to your wireless network adapter AT ALL. I'm talking about your modem. I'm assuming it's DSL, and not just a DSL modem, but perhaps also a router, a combination modem+router.

Just tell me the make and model of the modem and I can look it up and confirm it one way or another.

And what ever you did to your PC in terms of bridging those connections, undo it.

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
hmm, I just managed to get access to the router options by putting a cable from the pc to the router - nothing else - and entering 192.168.0.1. But now I can't make it happen again. Very strange.

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I now have access to the router again - cable directly from PC to WAN port on router and entering 192.168.0.1.

But then, how do I set it up so I can be online at the same time? Right now I don't have the router connected.

Ok, I can see this is NOT DSL, but a cable modem. Then you should be connected as follows:

[modem](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[router](lan)<-- wire -->(lan)[pc]

Your PC should also be configured w/ DHCP enabled. Go to Start->Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (no quotes), and hit enter. Locate your network connection, right click it, select Properties, and you'll see the details for that connection. In the list box, locate TCP/IP, select it, and hit the Properties button. Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected. Hit OK (to close the dialog box), hit OK (to close the connection properties), and the network will reset.

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Ok so, I've connected all my stuff the way you described and my internet is working this way. I did as you described and made sure all the settings were as you said.

I'm still having troubles with 192.168.0.1 tho - it's not working now. Just 5 minutes ago I had it working with the cable going from router WAN port to pc LAN port. Then I changed them again to get online, and then it won't work again.

Getting closer tho! :)

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Atm it won't even work when it's setup like you just described. I'm realy confused. I tried resetting the router a few times too, did nothing.

There are no circumstances in which you would ever connect the PC to the WAN port of the router. Even if the WAN port of the router was not connected to the LAN port of the modem, you would STILL use the LAN port of the router and connect it to the LAN port of the PC to contact and manage the router.

Step #1) Generate an ipconfig dump when the PC is connected directly to the modem and post it here.

Step #2) Generate an ipconfig dump when the PC is connected to the router via a LAN port, and the router is connect to the modem, WAN to LAN, respectively, and post it here as well. Also, post a screenshot of the WAN IP page of your router so we can see if the router is being assigned the same information as your PC from step #1 (it should be).

To generate an ipconfig dump, go to Start->Run, type "cmd" (no quotes), and hit enter. In the command window, type "ipconfig > temp.txt" (no quotes). The file temp.txt (in this example) will contain the dump.

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
1)

Windows IP-konfiguration

Forbindelsesspecifikt DNS-suffiks. . . . . . :

IP-adresse for automatisk konfiguration. . . : 169.254.80.10

Undernetmaske. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Standardgateway. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :

2)

Windows IP-konfiguration

No resets between these, I just switched the cables around.

All through this I get the "limited connection" warning. The pc->lan->router<-wan/lan<-modem setup worked earlier tho - I just couldnt reach the router via 192.168.0.1. Then it just stopped working.

WAN IP page - not sure if it's the right one:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/8682/details.jpg

Anything else, just let me know!

None of this makes any sense. You told me when the PC is connected directly to the modem, everything works. Yet, the first ipconfig dumps show an IP address of 169.254.80.10. That's the IP address Windows assigns when it can't reach reach a DHCP server. That’s a useless IP assignment and why Windows reports “limited connectivity”. At the very least it should show the public IP assigned by the cable modem, a valid gateway IP, DNS servers, etc.

Forget the router for the time being. Connect the PC directly to the modem (reboot the modem as well), and get a working Internet connection.

[modem]<-- wire -->[pc]

Then generate an ipconfig dump and post it here. We’re never going to make progress if you can’t get that working reliably and predictably. Also, make sure the PC is using DHCP.

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I must have posted something wrong - the connection works reliably with the modem connected directly to the pc.

Windows IP-konfiguration

Sorry :)

OP, you're making this so difficult. I asked you to generate this very dump, then you post the previous dumps which don't look like this, now you finally do.

So are we clear now. THIS dump represents when you're connected directly from the PC to the modem, correct? NO router.

I want you to generate this same dump one more time, but this time using ipconfig /all (all future dumps I request should include the /all option as well).

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
This is me connected directly to the modem yes, no router.
I realize I posted the wrong dump, my mistake, so sorry :)

ipconfig/all>temp.txt:

Windows IP-konfiguration

Søgeliste for DNS-suffiks. . . . . . . . . . : intern.ka-net.dk

Beskrivelse. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

DHCP-server. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.127.115

DNS-servere. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3

Rettigheden opnået . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 28. marts 2010 00:31:55

Rettigheden udløber. . . . . . . . . . . . . : 30. marts 2010 23:12:56

Ok, so now we know what a good Internet connection to your cable ISP looks like.

Now do the following.

1) Do a factory reset on the router. Find the reset button on the back of the router and depress it for 30 seconds (while powered on, of course) and release.

2) Reboot the modem (pull the power cord for 30 seconds and plug back in). Connect the modem to the WAN port of the router. Connect the PC to a LAN port on the router.

3) Generate an ipconfig /all dump on the PC and post it here.

agerkvist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Windows IP-konfiguration

Beskrivelse. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Takes about 15 seconds after connecting the PC to the LAN port, then I get the limited connection warning. DHCP is activated.

And then I have to go modem->wire<-pc to post this :)

Very strange. It's almost as if the DHCP server on your router is disabled. Something I've never seen before as a default. Then again, I've never dealt w/ this router before.

I want you to manually configure your TCP/IP configuration as follows:

IP Address: 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

Now see if you can get connected to the router's administrative interface at http://192.168.0.1 (username = admin, password = 1234).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25949-42-change-address-windows

Correct, from this point forward, I want you to keep the modem connected to the WAN port of the router, and PC connected to a LAN port on the router. I realize that's problematic for posting here, but there's nothing I can do about that for the time being. You'll just have to jump back and forth until this is fixed.

TRENDING THREADS