aassaf

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hi,

I have an old dell laptop pentium m 2ghtz with 1 gb of ram. It was running xp for years a doing fine. Then it started slowing and crawling to a halt all the time.

So i did a clean install with win 7.

Still absurdly slow.

Any ideas on fixing this? Any diagnostic tools to try? With the OS change i assume i am looking at a hardware issue. I did run diskscan and it came back clean.

Please help,

A

Solution
Since it is so old I would suggest makeing sure all the fans are running and also make sure they aren't clogged with dust. If the cooling is not working fully the processor will throttle it way back so it doesn't cook itself. Also on that old of a system I would stick with xp since you are most likely gonna have a real hard time finding drivers for all the components.
Since it is so old I would suggest makeing sure all the fans are running and also make sure they aren't clogged with dust. If the cooling is not working fully the processor will throttle it way back so it doesn't cook itself. Also on that old of a system I would stick with xp since you are most likely gonna have a real hard time finding drivers for all the components.

Solution