Product keys don't activate on new XP Pro Install

Anthony1s

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Hello. I have a customer's computer at work that does not activate when entering valid XP Pro keys. Computer says 'Invalid Key' when entering it. I am using a legit Windows XP Pro disc. I was on the phone with Microsoft all day a few weeks ago and they ended up giving me 2 or 3 new XP Pro keys. None of those keys work.

I can't provide the hardware specs, because I'm not at work until tomorrow. It's a 7-8 year old system for an older woman.

Anyone have ideas as what could be going on? Thanks.

Solution
What it may also be Anthony is the different versions of XP Pro that are available. There are VLK versions, Upgrade/Retail version, and an OEM version.

OEM versions will not work on Upgrade/Retail or VLK installs and all other combos. I'd be willing to bet the keys are legit, just for a different "version" of XP Pro.

rybussell

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
What it may also be Anthony is the different versions of XP Pro that are available. There are VLK versions, Upgrade/Retail version, and an OEM version.

OEM versions will not work on Upgrade/Retail or VLK installs and all other combos. I'd be willing to bet the keys are legit, just for a different "version" of XP Pro.

Solution

Anthony1s

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks rybussell. I'll see what I can figure out tomorrow.

The woman didn't have her product key, so I used ProduKey to find the key of the current XP Pro install. Then used that key with a 32-bit XP Pro disc I had laying around. Not sure if my disc is VLK or retail. Or if her key is OEM or not... Though, I thought OEM keys would work with VLK or retail discs. And I'd imagine M$ gave me retail keys. I dunno. I have a mess on my hands and feel I should be thinking of alternative options for her now.