PCI lock and selecting 4 processors in advanced MSCONFIG locked me out

I was attempting to speed up the boot process in my Dell Quad core computer. I went into MSCONFIG / advanced and selected 4 processors and then checked the PCI lock as well upon restart I am locked out of my computer now. It starts to boot up then it dumps to a blue screen flash then reboots to repair mode which by the way does nothing. Ive tried my Emergency boot disk and that didn't work. I have long since installed UBUNTU as a second OS on the partition to save my windows partition and to access my files.
I would like it know if there's any way to go in and reverse those actions and have it boot properly again.
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about lock selecting processors advanced msconfig locked
  1. If your Dell computer is still under Warranty then you should call the Dell tech support , they should be able to help you.
  2. :pt1cable: Geee really? Looks like I'm not gonna get any help here.
  3. The reason I say that is because Dell computers are very controlled and are not like regular computers , they seem to lock access to certian functions so that you can't make adjustments.
  4. mrwhatever said:
    I was attempting to speed up the boot process in my Dell Quad core computer. I went into MSCONFIG / advanced and selected 4 processors and then checked the PCI lock as well upon restart I am locked out of my computer now. It starts to boot up then it dumps to a blue screen flash then reboots to repair mode which by the way does nothing. Ive tried my Emergency boot disk and that didn't work. I have long since installed UBUNTU as a second OS on the partition to save my windows partition and to access my files.
    I would like it know if there's any way to go in and reverse those actions and have it boot properly again.
    Thanks

Start Windows, in safe mode, disable "PCI lock" button. TA DA! (sorry its years later :( hope no BS tech service robbed you like Bestbuy/Geek Squad seem to do with high praise and a paycheck
Ask a new question

Read More

Boot Processors Msconfig Overclocking