My computer says select proper boot and reboot or insert boot media

Hello,
for a while my computer has been shutting iself down with various crackles indidcating a malfunctioning PSU. however yesterday i was backing it up so that if the crash i knew was coming happened i could restore my files. because the backup was carrying on over night i decided to stop it and start again the backup the following morning. This morning i turn on my computer-nothing having happened last night, i turned it off normally-and it says select proper boot device and reboot or insert boot media. This was exceedingly frustrating considering that i had missed my chance to back it up by a few hours. have i still lost my data on my drive :/C however.

PPLLLEASSE HELP MEE
6 answers Last reply
More about computer select proper boot reboot insert boot media
  1. maybe double check that your booting off the right drive?
  2. Sounds like there is an issue with your HDD. I would check that all connections are good, check the BIOS to make sure you are set to boot from HDD, and boot your windows 7 or w/e OS you have and try a start up repair. If none of that works then I would buy a new HDD.
  3. Toss out the faultyprone PSU asap as well.
  4. did you take the CD/DVD out of the drive before booting up?
  5. hanselb said:
    Sounds like there is an issue with your HDD. I would check that all connections are good, check the BIOS to make sure you are set to boot from HDD, and boot your windows 7 or w/e OS you have and try a start up repair. If none of that works then I would buy a new HDD.

does this mean my data is lost though?
  6. replaced HDD, switched memory, change disk cables, reprogrammed and still the same ***. i am thinking motherboard
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computer Boot Storage