Sign in with
Your question

My computer says select proper boot and reboot or insert boot media

Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2012 7:30:49 AM

Hello,
for a while my computer has been shutting iself down with various crackles indidcating a malfunctioning PSU. however yesterday i was backing it up so that if the crash i knew was coming happened i could restore my files. because the backup was carrying on over night i decided to stop it and start again the backup the following morning. This morning i turn on my computer-nothing having happened last night, i turned it off normally-and it says select proper boot device and reboot or insert boot media. This was exceedingly frustrating considering that i had missed my chance to back it up by a few hours. have i still lost my data on my drive :/ C however.

PPLLLEASSE HELP MEE
January 21, 2012 8:29:03 AM

maybe double check that your booting off the right drive?
January 21, 2012 9:01:00 AM

Sounds like there is an issue with your HDD. I would check that all connections are good, check the BIOS to make sure you are set to boot from HDD, and boot your windows 7 or w/e OS you have and try a start up repair. If none of that works then I would buy a new HDD.
Related resources
January 21, 2012 9:34:13 AM

Toss out the faultyprone PSU asap as well.
a b G Storage
January 21, 2012 11:35:41 AM

did you take the CD/DVD out of the drive before booting up?
January 22, 2012 8:00:01 PM

hanselb said:
Sounds like there is an issue with your HDD. I would check that all connections are good, check the BIOS to make sure you are set to boot from HDD, and boot your windows 7 or w/e OS you have and try a start up repair. If none of that works then I would buy a new HDD.

does this mean my data is lost though?
July 31, 2012 2:48:51 PM

replaced HDD, switched memory, change disk cables, reprogrammed and still the same ***. i am thinking motherboard

Related resources
!