I think I've just killed my CPU doing overclocking.

shadasinger

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hello everyone,

I think that I have just killed my PC 5 mins ago. I just bought a new graphics card, and ram and then got so caught up that I decided to overclock my CPU to make my PC topnotch. So I download the program setFSB. And started to put the bus speed to 300Mhz first, it overclocked and everything went fine and saw in CPU-Z that I just had reach 2.4Ghz on my Dual Core (stock clock=2Ghz), so I took the risk and put up another notch and set it to 400MHz and clicked set FSB. That was the most stupid thing I have ever done, I saw smoke coming of the PSU and before I knew it the speakers start to go off and make a horrible noise before I could do anything the screen was frozen, but I noticed that CPU was still running fine and the rest had no noise only the power supply in the first second gave a quick smoke. So I just shut down the computer from the main plug and now it is standing there as it is and I am afraid to turn it back on.

Would it have gone back to the normal default clock speeds if I turn it on? Or would be overclocked and make it even worse? How would I be able to downclock it again? And what was the problem with the smoke and all, do you think that the voltage feeded to CPU was a little high for PSU? Please guys help me out here I have no idea what to do.

Thanks!