4670 mobility. Is it a bargain?

Hi, I am interested in buying a laptop and since I am a gamer (I have an adequate desktop that still plays every game out there) I'd like to know what you think.

I found this Dell with a T6600 (2.2 GHz, dual core) and a 4670 1024 MB, 4 GB of RAM and a 720p monitor. The description didn't say "mobility" but I am guessing it is. It costs 799 euros (it's on sale-that's about 1150 dollars), but when I compare it with other laptops with the same price I see that the others have similar processors and nVidias 210, or ATis 4530. So I am guessing it's a bargain. I read online that a mobility 4670 is somewhere between the desktop 4650 and 4670.

So, should I go ahead? My budget is limited, so this is all I can afford for a laptop (if I want to upgrade my desktop soon, which I do).

What kind of performance do you think I'll get? I know that I will play TF2 great, but other than that, I have no idea how good this card is.
9 answers Last reply
More about 4670 mobility bargain
  1. Youngster, it's actually not a bad gaming card. It's a little slower than an GTS 250, which makes a decent gaming device/graphics card-do the research at http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Graphic-Cards.130.0.html.

Col. James B. Kirk.
  2. SEE IF THE MEMORY OF THE CARD IS DDR2 OR DDR3 ?

IF IT'S DDR3 THEN IT'S GOOD FOR GAMING .........
  3. The website doesn't say...I should just go in the store then to see...I wanted to avoid that...
  4. YEA GOOD , BECAUSE THERE'S A FAR DIFFERANCE BETWEEN DDR2 AND DDR3 IN GAMING PERFORMANCE
  5. Dude, CapsLock =! Cruse control to cool :pfff:

The Mobility 4670 is one of the better mobile GPU's and is defiantly better than the alternatives listed.
    Performance should be a little higher than the 4650 desktop card (both for the GDDR2 and GDDR3 variants).
    While the GDDR2 variant will be a bit slower than the GDDR3 variant, it should still be a quite good mobile platform for you.
    You can see roughly how it will stack up against the competition Here, just use the 4650 as a rough point of comparison.

I would say it will be a decent gaming laptop for the price, better than most, regardless of having a GDDR2 or GDDR3 GPU.
  6. Well, if you ask me, I'm with outlw6669 on this one....
    The laptop itself seems like a good deal. It wont matter if it is DDR2 or DDR3.
    But, it is probably DDR2.
  7. Well, by the time I decided to make the purchase it was sold out. It was a pretty good bargain it seems. I purchased a 150 euros cheaper Fujitsu laptop with a T4300 (2.1 GHz) and a 240M GT. I know, I know, it is hardly as powerful, but I don't think I regret it, since I am only going to be gaming on that PC for about 3 months per year. I might as well remember the oldies while gaming on my new Amilo 3650.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
  8. The 4670 is a midrange card and will run decent on a laptop. I hijack my parents laptop when I am over there to game a little and it has a 4650 mobility.

They laptops with 4650/4670's and core2 CPU's are going to be up for sale because they are making way for the i3 laptops and also the new ATI 5xxx series mobility cardss.
  9. I think this laptop would be way better:

Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor P7450
    Features 2 processing cores, 1066MHz system bus, 3MB L2 cache and 2.13GHz processor speed per core.
    2 high-performance processing cores
    To run multiple demanding applications simultaneously without hesitation.
    4GB DDR2 memory
    For multitasking power.
    Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
    Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
    16" LED-backlit LCD high-definition widescreen display
    With 1366 x 768 resolution showcases your movies and games in stunning clarity.
    320GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
    Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times. 1 E-SATA connection for added convenience.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M graphics
    Features 1GB DDR3 video memory for lush images. HDMI output for connecting to an HDTV. 2 built-in speakers with Creative Audigy HD support.

It is $900 at Bestbuy.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Laptops Desktops Mobility Graphics