bobz1140

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I am running an Athlon 2000 XP processor on an ASUS A7V400-MX motherboard.
2 GIG ram.
3 hard drives installed, 1 dvd/cd burner, 1 floppy drive.
1 80mm exhaust fan in back of case.
My operating temperatures where CPU 62C/143 F, MB 32 C/89 F.
Under a load the CPU temp gets around 154 F.

I recently added 2 80mm intake fans this weekend in the front of the case.
I also tidyed up the cabeling, removed the heatsink and cpu cleaned both and applied a new layer of Arctic 5 thermal compound. Blew out any dust completely.

Now here is the part I don't understand.

With my case closed my temperatures are as follows.
CPU - 58 C / 136 F
MB - 33 C / 91 F

With 1 side of my case removed my temperatures are as follows.
CPU - 54 C / 129 F
MB - 31 C / 87 F

With the additional fans and the good cleaning shouldn't my temperatures be lower with the case closed? I'm confused.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Z

Solution
Sometimes when you have more air coming in than out , it could create hot air pockets in the case. In your case, you have 2 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan. That air coming in has no where to go, so it just heats up in your case.

Anyway, Your computer is running much cooler than before you had added those fans in. Good improvement. I know Athlon xp 's use to run hot partly because they didn't use heatspreaders like the cpus of today. They were just exposed tiny cores.

If you don't mind cutting into your case you could add some more fans or even enlarge the current holes for a bigger quieter fan. If you own a rotary tool, it's fairly easy to do. It's a great way to spruce up an old case.

dybid21

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Sometimes when you have more air coming in than out , it could create hot air pockets in the case. In your case, you have 2 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan. That air coming in has no where to go, so it just heats up in your case.

Anyway, Your computer is running much cooler than before you had added those fans in. Good improvement. I know Athlon xp 's use to run hot partly because they didn't use heatspreaders like the cpus of today. They were just exposed tiny cores.

If you don't mind cutting into your case you could add some more fans or even enlarge the current holes for a bigger quieter fan. If you own a rotary tool, it's fairly easy to do. It's a great way to spruce up an old case.

Solution

bobz1140

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

OK thanks for the information.

Maybe I should add 1 more exhust fan or take away 1 intake fan.

Either of these options will even them out.