Looking to build new system

huginn

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:BY march 1 and would like to stay under 1000$

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, movies internet, most used game is world of warcraft followed by fritz(chess playing program/database)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg is my preferred site

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type I prefer AMD, no preference for motherboard, for the video card I take nvidia as ATI has issues with world of warcraft, the video cards I been looking at are Nvidia 9000 and 200 series, for the CPU 1 of the AMD quad cores
The case, mother board and cooling is my big hang up, so many choices. I dont need a case with lights and artwork all over, just one that is not a pain to work with
cooling, airflow PSU and motherboard are the areas where I am willing to overkill

OVERCLOCKING: No desire to overclock SLI OR CROSSFIRE: maybe SLI but can live without it

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have very little experience building a system, I upgraded/replaced CPU's,PSU's ,and other components but I never replaced a motherboard

CPU: Phenom II X4 955
Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO Combo with CPU for $256 after rebate.
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB $55
Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 700W Combo with DVD burner $69 after rebate
Case: HAF 922 or Antec 900 $100
GPU: HD 5850 $300
OS: Windows 7 $100 (or if you are a student, much less).

Total: $995. May be cheaper than that depending on the deals and when you buy it.

I know you said nVidia for the GPU, but ATI is much, much better right now. It's not even a contest. The 5xxx series is the newest, and currently only cards to support DirectX 11. In addition, they work very well in Crossfire. The 5850 is overkill for your resolution, but if you ever upgrade the monitor, it will still be great.

As long as your info about ATI cards not being WOW friendly is recent and applies to the 5000 series of GPUs then I would be willing to concede going for a nVidia card, but until I see this info from a reliable and recent source with some numbers to back it up ATI is the way to go.