Possible Damaged OS?

cheezecake56

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
I have an i5 3570k at 4.5GHz running on 1.28 volts. This morning i was foolhardy and shot for 4.8 at 1.30 volts. The computer crashed on bootup. Now I can't reach 4.5GHz at 1.28 volts. Is my OS possibly damaged?

Solution
Going by your description of what you did it sounds like you didn't follow the correct way to overclock. Overclocking is done at a very slow and tedious pace with the smallest iincrements of voltage and multiplier raised. Situations like this are exactly why that is the way to do it because it sounds like you just put in 1.3v and 4.8ghz and tried to see if your computer would run at that.
If you had done it the correct way you would have gotten warning signs that you were going too high and you could have backed off.
You can't overclock Ivy Bridge to 4.8 ghz on air , Ivy Bridge is not a very good cpu to be overclocked , it's a low voltage cpu and as such does not like voltage to be added in overclocking at the higher speeds. To save...
D

Deleted member 217926

No but the CPU might be. Ivy Bridge hates high voltage. Ivy is not Sandy. Max overclocks on air with Ivy are generally 4.2-4.4Ghz at 1.2v or less. What you describe sounds like a processor damaged through electromigration. It will take more and more voltage to reach the same speed.

Unless you are running a custom water loop I can't imagine you had safe temps at ~1.3v.

Going by your description of what you did it sounds like you didn't follow the correct way to overclock. Overclocking is done at a very slow and tedious pace with the smallest iincrements of voltage and multiplier raised. Situations like this are exactly why that is the way to do it because it sounds like you just put in 1.3v and 4.8ghz and tried to see if your computer would run at that.
If you had done it the correct way you would have gotten warning signs that you were going too high and you could have backed off.
You can't overclock Ivy Bridge to 4.8 ghz on air , Ivy Bridge is not a very good cpu to be overclocked , it's a low voltage cpu and as such does not like voltage to be added in overclocking at the higher speeds. To save yourself some more damage to your cpu read the article below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-core-i7-3770k,3198.html

Solution
I can't tell you if your cpu is danaged most likly it's not but you do have to be careful when adding voltage to the cpu for overclocking , it should be added as needed at the smallest increments as possible. If overclocking is done right you will have a solid stable cpu running at a high speed and using the lowest amount of voltage that's needed.

cheezecake56

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. I may have misjudged the stability. I thought if windows booted up and can run aida64 stress test for more than 20 seconds it was stable :pt1cable: I guess I'll stick with 4.2 for now until I get better air cooling since adding more voltage will create more heat.

D

Deleted member 217926

Seriously? You need to be stable and have good temps with at least 12 hours of Prime 95 small FFTs test.