Computer has never beeped

tordogs

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Computer works great, posts, loads windows, runs, video OK, sound OK. All ram recognized--no seeming problem just have never gotten a post beep--what gives? Asus P6X58D i7 960 12 GB OCZ ram Soundblaster card XFX 5870 Antec P 183 case Antec CP 850 PSU Windows 7 Intel SSD WD 500 Caviar Black Thanks for you input

tordogs

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
No, the Antec case doesn't have a speaker and if the Asus motherboard has one onboard it is not shown in the schematics. Web info is sketchy about motherboard speakers/beepers. I do have onboard sound disabled; does that make any difference?

Well, that means there is nothing to emit the "beep". It was the same with my Antec case. They didn't give me one or put one in the case, so no beep. It won't cause a problem unless the computer has an error and emits a beep code you can't hear. you may be able to get one online (though I am not sure where).

tordogs

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
http://www.pc-extras.com/prods/bsspm1.html

Found this little thing online which is probably the simplest device--plugs into the motherboard headers. One beef on the Antec cases has been the lack of a case speaker (for the prices they charge!). On further exams, I looked back at the Newegg pics of my motherboard and in the blowup it shows an onboard buzzer (too lazy to open the case and look!); was pretty convinced most Asus boards should have one. I am thinking that on the first post after build it did beep but then I went into bios and disabled onboard sound so I could use the Soundblaster card and drivers. Am wondering if the onboard buzzer uses the onboard sound drivers? Any thoughts on that? Am tempted to re-enable onboard sound just to check but figure that is going to create all h--- with the Creative drivers. Am thinking if it isn't broke, don't fix it and just hope I don't ever need to hear the post beeps. Thanks for your input and sorry I don't know how to format/set up my posts just yet.

No problem. I'm inclined to go with your "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" idea. And, if it doesn't boot one day, normally a good first step is to reset the BIOS (by battery or switch or pins) which should in turn enable that speaker (if you actually disabled it) and let you hear and error beeps.