Sign in with
Your question

How did I do? What do I do to improve it?

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2010 9:13:22 PM

I finished my first build about a week ago. I am 11 and my Dad helped, but I did 80% of the work, including the decisions on which parts.

Goal - Light gaming - WoW (the only graphic intense game I am allowed to play). Otherwise general surfing, home theater and home productivity."A Family Computer."

Budget - $800 plus Dad threw in the Plextor Blu Ray. ( I ended up $50 over budget after MIR). I used a lot of Newegg Combo Deals and free shipping at Christmas which made it possible to stay within my budget.

I had a problem with my first MoBo, the ASUS M4A79XTD EVO. I couldn't get it to post, nothing. After a RMA, the same problem with the second board, I got a refund from Newegg. I think it was a bad combo with the processor. But Newegg was great and the new board worked fined.

I have a 21" Acer 1600 x 900 monitor & a 50" Panasonic Plasma 1366x768 (looks great!) that I am using mirrored in two different rooms. Not part of the build). Actually the two monitors are on the opposite side of the same wall making cabling very easy. And the wireless keyboard and mouse make playing in either room easy too! It's a very sweet set up.

Case - Antec Three Hundred Illusion
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3
PSU - OCZ ModXStream Pro 700WSony Optiarc Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz overclocked to 3.6Ghz (Stock Cooler)
Graphics Card - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB
Optical - PLEXTOR Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal BD Combo Model PX-B320SA LightScribe Support
and Sony Optiarc Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD
Keyboard & Mouse - Logitech MK700 Black 2.4 GHz Wireless
Windows 7 Home

Almost everything works great. We watched Blu rays on the plasma - which looked great.
Small Problem:
I can't figure out how to get the sound to go through the home stereo. The mini speaker outputs on the back of the MoBo produce a loud humming sound when I plug them into the stereo. But the sound on the TV speakers is fine, but the TV is hooked up via an HDMI cable.

WoW looks great and I run it with a macro for better graphics and still the 60 fs max is no problem.

My Windows Experience Index is:
Processor: 7.4
RAM 7.5
Graphics 6.9
Gaming Graphics 6.9
Primary HD 5.9
WEI 5.9
Is this OK? Should I be doing something different? And any thoughts on how to fix my sound problems?

Also, thanks to everyone in helping be choose, build and setup my first "rig." I love this site! If I can do it, anyone can do it.
Dannyman

More about : improve

January 24, 2010 9:19:29 PM

Windows Experience Index will not rate a mechanical hard drive (no matter how fast) above a 5.9. Only SSDs are allowed to score higher (or at any rate, they are the only ones that do).

And great build, by the way. A lot nicer and better thought out than my first system was.

For the sound, make sure you have the newest sound drivers (from Gigabyte) and Video Card Drivers (from ATI) and that you are plugging the speaker plug into the green audio jack. After confirming that, we'll see if we can find what is causing the problem
m
l
January 25, 2010 5:37:45 AM

Nothing helpful here, I just wanna say I am impressed with your skills being 11y/o. Good job.
m
l
January 25, 2010 5:29:43 PM

Sometimes you can get noise from the sound output from your source(computer) to the output device(stereo/tv) by the two devices not sharing a common ground. It is possible this is what you are experiencing. Try plugging in the computer and sound output device(stereo/tv) into the same socket on the wall. You can use an extension cord if need be(just be sure it has three prongs).

My girlfriends laptop had the same problem and plugging into the same socket fixed it.

If that turns out to be the problem I would recommend contacting an electrician and getting a quote to see what it would run to fix the issue, or just using the same socket.

Let me know if this helps.
m
l
!