Well I think I might of fried my GPU, Help!

Hello,
So basically I was testing over clocking my GTX560 and I increased my Volts from 1.05 to 1.87 like a idiot that I have now learned. How do I tell if I have done damage to my GPU and what can I do also along with that I increased my Engine and memory. Which has worked fine before.
What I was using was an ASUS smartdoctor that came with my GPU.

Sorry for any bad grammar I'm dyslexic among other things.

As I stated on top is how do I tell what damage if any I have done.
3 answers Last reply
More about well fried help
  1. Which Asus 560? Also, you say 1.87V, but I highly doubt that's true, unless you modified the BIOS to let that occur.

My Asus 560 OC has a default full power 3D clock voltage of 1.012V, but I'm running 1.062V now (@ 950Mhz core) and I've had it up to 1.087V without any problems, but that's the 560 OC, with the DC II cooler (with 2 fans), so it can easily handle the heat.

In any case, I doubt you damaged anything, since the program is set keep you to a "safe" maximum with 1.087V, as it is. It's possible that something got fried, if the card was faulty to begin with, but it shouldn't cause any immediate damage to a healthy card. It would just cause a slow death, like what happens when you overvolt anything.

For what it's worth, you shouldn't overclock the VRAM. It can cause a lot of stability issues and it really isn't worth it anyway. Very little performance to be gained from it. Nearly all the performance gain comes from overclocking the core/shaders.

If you were experiencing crashes/BSOD's, I can almost guarantee that overclocking the VRAM is what caused it (or you were trying to go for a higher core clock than 1.087V will allow. My 560 isn't stable at 1Ghz even @ 1.087V).
  2. To fully answer you question, you really can't know for absolute certain if you've done any damage, especially if the card is still working.

I suppose the best way would be to put everything back to stock and run Furmark for a while. If you don't have any problems with that, play some games for a while. If you still don't have any problems, you're fine, and there almost definitely isn't any damage (at least not immediate damage. Long term is another story, but that'll happen with overclocking anyway).
  3. I don't know much about overclocking, I'm here myself for some advice, but DJdecibel sounds right, I certainly wouldn't have thought that you could overvolt that much without flashing the bios, but that is my rather rubbish opinion mate :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Overclocking