Solved

Image or Clone Dying Netbook Harddrive to Smallser SSD

Hello,
Not quite a noob, here - built a few systems in my time, but have earned my gray hairs and don't need anymore.

Have searched here and elsewhere for solution, but my predicament seems slightly unique and I don't want to make any irretrievable mistakes.

Daughter-in-law has a dying HP Mini 110 160GB Harddrive (ran disk diagnostics). Cannot boot to windows (Win7) or repair partition. No recovery disc. Important info to save. The HP's (I assume Linux) start-up environment can access some harddrive data (eg photos), but is very limited.

Stole a nice new Corsair 120GB SSD from Newegg.

I need to clone or image the boot & recovery partition to the new SSD using my Desktop PC (Win7), re-sizing the boot partition along the way.

Assuming this is is at all possible, and I may only have one shot at imaging/cloning the dying drive - what software could do this?

Preferably free and in my Windows desktop (my command line days are waaaaay behind me).
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about image clone dying netbook harddrive smallser
  1. Best answer
    Cadder just posted in the storage forum with props for the free EaseUS Todo Backup for a disk copy from a larger hdd to smaller ssd.
  2. I just had a similar problem and successfully cloned to a new drive and recovered everything important using EaseUS Todo backup and recovery tools.
  3. RESOLVED...
  4. RESOLVED.... though not how I expected.
    When I popped the laptop harddrive into my Win7 machine to clone it, Win7 kept wanting to fix it. I couldn't read anything on the laptop drive, so finally let Win7 do it's thing. Found bad sector & made repairs, enough that I could rescue my Daughter-in-laws pics, etc. Then was able to pop it back in the mini & restore the os partition from the recovery partition.
  5. Best answer selected by jerryhh.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage