PSU Questions and about continuous PSU's is it all just marketing?

vvilliamm

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371009&cm_re=antec_850-_-17-371-009-_-Product

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139013&Tpk=corsair%20950tx

While i was looking through for psu's i saw that certain psu's say continuous power and all the psu's that has that mostly say compatible with core i7 while all the other regular ones the 950tx etc doesnt..
Now im lost does it mean that with continuous power its better than the regular psus without the continuous power?

Which one is better? both of these are the same price but one is just 100w more while the other has continuous power if my i7 would run better with antecs continuous psu ill go with that

BigBurn

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
In the specification of the corsair PSU it is writen: Guaranteed to sustain its full rated wattage at an ambient temperature of 50°C.

It is pretty much the same thing as continuous power.

Some precise continuous power because there is also Max (or peek) output. Like I could say a 680w PSU, but in fact is PSU that can do 450W continuously and substain 680w for a short time without breaking, but will eventually do under that usage.

And why don't you post the rest of your hardware? You might not need a 850-950w power supply.

But to answer your question, I would take the first one because it is modular (means you can disconnect the wire you are not using).

vvilliamm

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
from another forum
"Continuous power = able to supply XXX amount of continuous power for long period of time.

Peak power = able to supply XXX amount of power, but only for short duration."

kinda lost by that statement a little so corsairs psu could only suppy 600 w only for a short duration and shuts off? While continuous psu could sustain the lvl of 850w for over a long period time but.. will degrade faster.? sigh.. lol picking psu's use to be easy.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

no the corsair is continuous also. most PSUs (at least good ones) will be rated for continuous supply. you just need to look out for ones that say peak supply, as these are basically trying to trick you into gettin less wattagew than you want.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Power information on PSU must provide continuous values.
If for example enermax says that its powersupply can provide 1000W it do so with easy and some can also provide +20% more in peaks.
If someone emphasing on Continuous Power they most probably try fool customers in thinking that others do not offer same.