September 16, 2012 11:21:47 AM

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some advice on getting a new motherboard,

My specs are

Amd Phenom II x4 955
Asus M5A78L-M motherboard
ATI HD4550 Graphics card
Running windows Vista

Looking to start playing games and overclocking so all advice welcome. I was considering getting a intel i5 and after reading some of the articles on here it looks like i am just as well staying with my amd for now.

All overclocking advice will be noted as i have never done this before but i am happy to use the bios screens.

Many thanks and look forward to gettting some advice
Graham
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
September 16, 2012 1:21:01 PM

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have overclocked a 6-core phenom and a 4-core FX on two different examples of this motherboard. It's easy to use, has a beefy VRM section, and is priced well for the performance/features.

Just go into Ai tweaker, bump your multiplier up a bit, then load test and check voltage and temps.

The faster you go the higher your voltages will automatically be increased, so you may get to a point where you want to back down the voltage a bit. In that case, you can just use a negative offset. (It's further down the list of options on the same page where you increase your multiplier.

September 16, 2012 4:49:09 PM

Hi Z1NONLY,

Thanks for this i had a quick look at the motherboard you have suggested.

Do you have any suggestions on a good graphics card too ?

Many thanks
Graham
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
September 16, 2012 7:54:04 PM

The 5 series nvidia stuff has come down in price now that the 6 series is out. And AMD has lowered prices on their cards too. What resolution are you running and what's your budget for the video card?
September 16, 2012 8:28:24 PM

5 series is that a bmw lol...

Budget mmmmm now there is a question as the last graphics card i got was a ati hd5770 and got that for £25 because it was sold as faulty but as soon as i put it in my system it worked and has never let me down.

Resolution well i have it hooked up to my 46inch led tv so i guess its 1080p if that is what you are meaning ?

Going to need to bulid this one in stages as money is tight at the min.

Many thanks
Graham
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
September 16, 2012 9:32:10 PM

I'm running two GTX 560's in SLI now, but even the single 560 did pretty well before I added the second.

I'm only running at 1680X1050 so the 1GB version(s) have done well for me.

However, I have been reading that higher resolutions call for more VRAM so I would go with either a GTX 560 of 560ti with 2 GB of RAM.

This 2GB GTX 560 is only $157 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!