Overclocking i5 2500k with stock

G

Hey guys, I plan to overclock my cpu a little! I first tried to stress test my cpu with aida and I get to like 55-60C, doesn't seem to get higher, it just gets up and down now. This with 100% cpu usage. I have problems running Guild Wars 2 with GTX 680 so I searched it up a little and saw that my cpu could be a bottleneck in cpu heavy games. Would it be possible for me to overclock the cpu a little? How much? When does the CPU begin to throttle or like underclock itself? Don't ask me to buy coolers and so on, I have hydro 212 next to me but it doesn't seem to fit in my computer unless I take out my motherboard and so on, I just want a quick overclock to begin with. I am using MSI as bios btw.

G

Will it bottleneck my GPU then? I have a aftermarket cooler here but have no idea how to put it in so..

G

I can't.. Soo, will i5 3.3 ghz be bottlenecking my gtx 680 from maxing games like AC3, BD2, FC3 and GTA V in the future? :/

I can't.. Soo, will i5 3.3 ghz be bottlenecking my gtx 680 from maxing games like AC3, BD2, FC3 and GTA V in the future? :/

What do you mean "you can't"? It's not like the mobo is soldered in. And installing a 212+/Evo isn't that hard to do (especially if you built the system yourself in the first place). You should be very comfortable doing that. If you're not, you don't even need to be thinking about overclocking anyway.

To answer your question though, no, a stock 2500K won't bottleneck a single 680. A stock 2500K won't bottleneck any card currently available. Even if it did, if you play @ 1080p or higher (which I hope you would, with that setup), the CPU isn't anywhere near as important as it would be at lower resolutions.

Bottom line, you don't even need to OC anyway, but you really should get comfortable enough with your hardware to be able to take out the mobo to install the 212+/Evo, since you have one anyway.

Also, are you sure your case doesn't have an access hole behind the mobo to install a cooler? Most newer cases do.

G

Thanks ALOT guys. So, Well I opened my case (i didnt build it myself) and it looked really weird. No chance that a 212 would fit in there, there are these silver coloured frozen things in the way or whatever it is, hard to explain. But it already bottlenecks me in GW2 :/... Might be drivers and optimize, I don't know. But I'm mostly demanding high settings in single player games like AC3, FC3, Borderlands 2, GTA V etc, considering GTX 570 nearly maxed all games from early 2009 to like now, how long will GTX 680 keep maxing games with i5 2500? Thanks for your answers, I will just buy Harswell or whatever the new generation is named coming out in mid 2013 and by then my goal is to be keen with my system.

G

I can't overclock it since when I tried to take out my existing cooler, I nearly ruined my GPU since I touched it when I tried to move the four ----- to unlock it. I decided to stop before my 500 euro card gets hurt. If I take it out, how do I even set it in? I don't know anything bout cables or so, is it really worth it? I heard that 3.3 ghz is getting old and that it maybe will have problems with titles like GTA V and AC3. But I trust in your answers.

And no video can show me without it being my computer, since my computer and case is very different. If someone would be able to give me some tips or so, or direct help via skype I could just play it with my cam and you could give me step to step.

I'll let you iron out on installing the new CPU HSF.
But some general comments:
1) The stock Intel HSF is at the BOTTEM of the totom pole for HSFs!!
2) I do NOT even install it, I leave it in the box to keep the wind from blowing the box away (LOL) - have to keep it just incase the CPU dies and you have to RMA it.
3) Since you only reported one temperature, I'm guessing that is the CPU temp - You should really look at the 4 indivdual core temps (ie using HWMonitor). Also when overclocking a CPU you NEED to use a program like Prime 95 and run it for min of 4 to 6 hours. Most people report CPU core temps between 75 and 85 C using the stock HSF. Some even hit the 90's (ouch).
.. Max temp for the i5-2500K is around 95 C at which time the CPU with start to tlower it's speed to protect the CPU.
.. Generally speaking 4.2 is a very mild OC and most reach it with little problems - USING a after market HSF.

Removing the GPU is relatively easy:
1) disconnect Power cable are rear of card.
2) Remove bracket screw.
3) Slide locking pin (at end of socket) over while removing card.