Sign in with
Your question
Closed

E7500 only showing 2.4 ghz instead of 2.93 ghz

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 31, 2010 3:04:17 AM

Hello guys... Im a typical average guy when it comes to computers.. I mean I dont have that much knowledge so I really want to post this matter to you guys..

Its all about the results I have in the program CPU-Z..

I have an Intel E7500 core2duo which was expected to run at 2.93 Ghz, but as far as that program is concern, it only shows 2.4 Ghz with x9 multiplier which was suppose to be 11 if im not mistaken.. and it is in full load while I run my Xtreme Photostory Slideshow and Bad Company 2.. sadly when the computer is idle, it only shows up low results. (1.6 Ghz to be exact)

here is the screen shot:

:pfff: 

I am suspecting that this is caused by an energy saver program/software or something in my motherboard but i am not sure

My specs:

Core 2 duo E7500
3 Gb of ram Kingston DDR2 2x2gb (Men it was suppose to be 4gb! but my OS is not 64 bit)
G31M-ES2C MoBo
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT 1gb (low end)

hope you can give me some tips on how to make my cpu run at 2.93 Ghz..

by the way im louie from the philippines.. hehe mABUHAY and thanks..

More about : e7500 showing ghz ghz

a c 131 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 3:08:05 AM

Intel has a power saving feature. The cpu will ramp up speeds on demand and it has little to no performance impact. To double check that it is going to full speed, download and run prime95 then take a printscreen of CPU-Z again.
Also, what brand is the motherboard? a model number without a brand isn't the most useful.

Edit: found the motherboard. a Gigabyte brand. Just wanted to check to make sure the CPU is supported, which it is.
March 31, 2010 3:18:08 AM

ok i'll do it... by any chance could I edit my multiplier and change it to x11? hehe im a newbie..
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 3:24:09 AM

louiegwapz said:
ok i'll do it... by any chance could I edit my multiplier and change it to x11? hehe im a newbie..

yeah you could try that. Go into the bios and check out your motherboard manual. Find where is says something about CPU multiplier and change that from "auto" to 11.
^^I am unsure if that will work though. I have an AMD processor so the multiplier is unlocked from the default multi and below. But with Intel's I believe they are locked both ways. So you may not be able to change that at all.

Edit: Ah new pictures. Your bios is recognizing it as x9 multiplier. Interesting.
March 31, 2010 3:30:15 AM

yes my bios indicates that it as x9 multiplier... and im frustrated because i could not get the speed of what i paid for...

by the way im reading the manual now..

in the mean time please check out the Screen shot I have... Did I executed prime 95 the right way.. it seems to me that my processor still runs at 2.4 GHz :( 

a c 122 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 3:40:12 AM

^No Intel will allow you to change the multi from 6x-9x or 11x if thats what you have. Its why some people have a Q6600 with a 8x multi and 400MHz FSB.

I would make sure you have the most up to date BIOS:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Mod...

And then make sure it has the multi set to 11x.

Best solution

a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 3:42:22 AM

Well heres the deal usually when a processor gets stuck at 2.4ghz it means the bios doesnt have the support it needs for the processor 2.4ghz is default speed for unsupported processors. Go to gigabyte and update your bios they made 2 revisions for that board if you are on revision 1.0 you will need bios update F7 for it to run correctly. If it is rev 2 you will need bios FC
March 31, 2010 3:56:53 AM

woah easy on me... I can understand only a little of what you are saying..

@SAAIELLO- the cpu support list of my motherboard tells me that e7500 is compatible with Gigabyte G31m-Es2c

can you explain this screen shots form me

a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 4:07:01 AM

It says F2 bios update for it but I am willing to bet it needs the F7 bios update. I have seen this before where the processoer refuses to run at its rated speed because it is not being supported by the bios. It can read the CPUID because thats in the chip so it can see that but it dont know what to do with it. So just update bios to F7 and I think your problems will be solved. But also you have to be sure what revision you have of that board there are 2 different models of that same board and it will say it on the board itself. Look along the edges of the board to find out usually near the pci slots or the ram.
a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 4:11:14 AM

March 31, 2010 4:18:26 AM

it says rev 1.1
a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 4:22:31 AM

Well update to F7 and see what happens it cant hurt to try. Also download the free trial of everest too see exactly what bios you have at the moment. I am 100% certain its a bios issue.
March 31, 2010 4:34:45 AM

im using @bios software and it says v f8 is available.. will I continue? or what should i do>?

a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 4:36:11 AM

yes
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2010 4:47:19 AM

In the BIOS under CPU settings, all you have to do is turn off IEST and C1E and your CPU will run its rated speed full time.
a c 122 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 4:49:10 AM

hundredislandsboy said:
In the BIOS under CPU settings, all you have to do is turn off IEST and C1E and your CPU will run its rated speed full time.

But it wont fix the problem he has with the multiplier staying at 9x instead of 11x.
a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 4:57:58 AM

hundredislandsboy said:

You are not reading the full post and looking at the screen shots yes speedstep is kicking hence the 6x in the first cpuz but in the second he is putting load on it and its only going to 9x. So this is not speed step issue read the post next time before you make yourself look bad again.
March 31, 2010 8:05:37 AM

Best answer selected by louiegwapz.
a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 8:13:36 AM

I am guessing since you picked me as best answer it works now I am happy that you figured it out.
March 31, 2010 8:15:42 AM

Wow my problem is resolved... thnx to all of you guys who manage to help me out with your ideas

AND SPECIAL THANKS TO SAAIELLO!
Your the man! updating my bios was the answer!

sorry if I had posted a late reply since there was a brown out a couple of hours ago and I was really lucky that it did not interrupted my update...

after updating my bios set up to F8 version this where the results

BEFORE:

AFTER:

And I also managed to acquire some ram from my original 4Gb but its not the whole though :( (

I was wondering if I could speed up and overclock my e7500 a little bit, maybe from 100-300 Mhz faster... would it be possible with just stock cooling?

Thank you very much Guys!

a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 8:19:15 AM

On stock I would say you can push it to 3.5 3.6ghz before you start haveing issues with heat. My E8200 was able to overclock about 800mhz before I saw heat becoming an Issue.

Well if anyone hasn't welcomed you yet Welcome to Toms Hardware Guide we always happy to help.
March 31, 2010 8:31:34 AM

I wold ask you for any tips and means of overclocking my cpu to its speed stable speed since you are a veteran hehe.. thanks by the way.. I would post later..

Gonna see if there are changes in my GTA 4 gameplay... this game is very laggy because of my specs!

a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 8:37:14 AM

If you need help or tips feel free to message me.
March 31, 2010 9:39:02 AM

well i ran GTA 4 and here I got decent frame rates maybe 20-30 frames

My settings are all medium

View distance is just 17

and resolution is 1680 x 1024 59Hz (I have a P2270 22" screen and wished to make the resolution 1920 x 1080 but it lags a lot)

can you teach me on how to over clock my CPU and GPU (if possible) to its most stable state base on my Computer Specifications... By the way the PSU of my system unit is 500W connected to a 600VA kebos UPS

thanks and more power..
a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 11:20:04 AM

What GPU do you have?

Nevermind just saw 9500GT

with that 9500 you will not see much more then what you are getting and I really can't see why they gave that card 1GB of ram it could never in a million years actually use it. But to overclock it go download EVGAprecision you will have to register for free to download it but its the best OCing tool for Nvidia cards. You will not be able to boost it too much unfortunately you might be able to get the core clock to 650 MHZ Shader can prob see around 1450 and the memory 800mhz if your lucky but 850mhz will be more realistic.
a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 11:51:39 AM

How to overclock crash course

1: Have a good hardware monitioring program
Go to www.cpuid.com and download HWMonitior and you already have CPU-Z

2: Download Prime95 just google it this is to check stability

3: Read your motherboard manual and get to know your bios.

What you will need to do is go into your bios and go into the MB Intelligent Tweaker menu. You will need to set cpu clock control to manual, PCI express frequency set that to 100mhz, C.I.A. disabled, Performance enhance set to lowest setting (this can be raised after stable overclock), System Memory Multiplier set it to 1:1 ratio I forget how gigabyte setting just set it so your ram runs at the same speed as the host frequency. Now you can start raising the bus speed or as your bios calls it the host frequency it should be set to 266mhz. You found out earlier that you can OC by raiseing this so whatever you set this at multiply by 11 and you will get you clock speed the bus on core 2s are quad pumped so multiply the host frequenct by 4 and that will be your FSB speed.

So after you got that down OC to what you want I would say for the first setting you can atleast raise it to 290 which will give you a hair under 3.2ghz. then save and boot windows once in windows open up HWMonitior so you can whatch temps and then run Prime95 on the blend test run it for atleast 30 minutes inbetween overclocks. When you start running into instability Prime95 will give a fatal error and stop the test when this happens you will have to raise the Vcore a notch same goes for if you bluescreen while testing raise it up 1 notch. Now if you get a bluescreen whiile loading windows you may have to go up 2 notchs but dont exceed 1.368 and remeber the higher the voltage the more heat. With proper coolong you can go a little over 1.36 but I wouldnt go over 1.38.

Any more questions ask away.

Good Luck
March 31, 2010 1:23:26 PM

I think I'll just leave it at it's normal clock speed... dont want to take risks as I am an inexperienced OC'ier.

By the way, which hardware contribute a better frame rate for the most of top of the line games such as Bad Company is it the CPU or the GPU?

I am planning to upgrade my system, and purchase GTX 260 graphics card and Intel q9550 would it be ok and compatible with my Gigabyte ES2C motherboard?
what would be the results?

I have only 500W PSU and a 600VA kebos UPS... just asking for tips...
a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 1:29:13 PM

YES they are compatible. For Bad Company 2 both CPU and Processor contribute since Bad Company 2 can use more then 2 cores.
March 31, 2010 1:34:02 PM

I have read in other forums that the minimum PSU requirement for a GTX 260 is 500W. Do I need to buy a new UPS and PSU, PSU only or would I retain these units..?

what graphics card would you recommend me other than GTX 260?
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2010 2:16:54 PM

louiegwapz said:

hope you can give me some tips on how to make my cpu run at 2.93 Ghz..

Go into your BIOS and change the FSB to 325 or 326 Mhz with a multiplier of 9. Save and exit. BINGO! 2.93 Ghz!!!
That is what I would do.

People often mess around with mutipliers and bus speeds in different combinations to find the most stable overclock for example.
a c 133 à CPUs
March 31, 2010 2:27:13 PM

RickyT23 said:
Go into your BIOS and change the FSB to 325 or 326 Mhz with a multiplier of 9. Save and exit. BINGO! 2.93 Ghz!!!
That is what I would do.

People often mess around with mutipliers and bus speeds in different combinations to find the most stable overclock for example.

If you haven't noticed noob I solved this 10 hours ago it had nothing to do with multipliers or overclocking stock for an E7500 is 11 x 266 his was only running 9 x 266 because it didnt have the right bios so try again dummy. :pt1cable: 
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2010 3:01:44 PM

saaiello said:
You are not reading the full post and looking at the screen shots yes speedstep is kicking hence the 6x in the first cpuz but in the second he is putting load on it and its only going to 9x. So this is not speed step issue read the post next time before you make yourself look bad again.

As far as looking bad, I do that often so I'm used to it, lol. But thanks for the tip!
March 31, 2010 3:05:39 PM

Be cool guys... the issue has been resolved... hope you can also help others... long live toms hardware :bounce: 

a b à CPUs
March 31, 2010 5:28:24 PM

saaiello said:
If you haven't noticed noob I solved this 10 hours ago it had nothing to do with multipliers or overclocking stock for an E7500 is 11 x 266 his was only running 9 x 266 because it didnt have the right bios so try again dummy. :pt1cable: 

OK man, yeah I read the whole thread, I was just saying that he could do that - "Thats what I would do". Your solution of getting the newer BIOS flashed on is totally better than my solution of stressing the FSB and resulted in the processor operating correctly.
My solution is more of a hack I guess :p 
August 18, 2010 6:54:40 PM

saaiello said:
How to overclock crash course

1: Have a good hardware monitioring program
Go to www.cpuid.com and download HWMonitior and you already have CPU-Z

2: Download Prime95 just google it this is to check stability

3: Read your motherboard manual and get to know your bios.

What you will need to do is go into your bios and go into the MB Intelligent Tweaker menu. You will need to set cpu clock control to manual, PCI express frequency set that to 100mhz, C.I.A. disabled, Performance enhance set to lowest setting (this can be raised after stable overclock), System Memory Multiplier set it to 1:1 ratio I forget how gigabyte setting just set it so your ram runs at the same speed as the host frequency. Now you can start raising the bus speed or as your bios calls it the host frequency it should be set to 266mhz. You found out earlier that you can OC by raiseing this so whatever you set this at multiply by 11 and you will get you clock speed the bus on core 2s are quad pumped so multiply the host frequenct by 4 and that will be your FSB speed.

So after you got that down OC to what you want I would say for the first setting you can atleast raise it to 290 which will give you a hair under 3.2ghz. then save and boot windows once in windows open up HWMonitior so you can whatch temps and then run Prime95 on the blend test run it for atleast 30 minutes inbetween overclocks. When you start running into instability Prime95 will give a fatal error and stop the test when this happens you will have to raise the Vcore a notch same goes for if you bluescreen while testing raise it up 1 notch. Now if you get a bluescreen whiile loading windows you may have to go up 2 notchs but dont exceed 1.368 and remeber the higher the voltage the more heat. With proper coolong you can go a little over 1.36 but I wouldnt go over 1.38.

Any more questions ask away.

Good Luck

Ive had the same problem as this person had with it being 2.43 and not 2.93 now i know how to fix it but as to overclocking, is it a major improvement to go from 2.93 to 3.2? will i see the speed increase in games or applications ? (dont mean to hijack the thread here)
August 20, 2010 1:53:52 PM

from my specs as you can see in this thread, I successfully overclocked my cpu from 2.93 to 3.2... the results were good... no heating issue... just follow the tips in this thread :) 
August 20, 2010 9:16:12 PM

Ok, thx again. Im a novice at overclocking as well but i think this will be a great improvement for me
September 24, 2010 6:08:15 PM

hey man, did you try setting your clock to 300 mhz instead of 266? its a waste of time to go digging for a freaking bios update instead of just upping the clock speed.
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2010 7:47:37 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!