5870 + 8800GT: Possible / Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hey guys, so last night I finally purchased a 5870 (WOOT), anyways, as you can see in my sig, I'm upgrading from 2 8800GT's and I'm curious about keeping one of them to keep PhysX on. Anyways, I wasn't able to turn up enough info doing my own googling so I'm turning to you guys. I've heard that nVidia removed whatever code was flatout preventing ATI & nvidia from playing nicely together so I'm wondering 1) If I even need to find whatever patch to allow my 8800 to run physx and 2) if it's even beneficial for me to do this, considering how old my 8800 is (see my sig for my CPU, though I expect to OC it a little more soon).

EDIT: Realized that I had created a similiar thread in which I asked a similar question, but what I found was only that patches were in progress that would let me run PhysX on a Radeon card which isn't quite what I was asking, sooo I created a new thread...so please no lmgtfy.com links.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

Yeah, I've heard that it's disabled for any drivers newer than 186, which would be a deal breaker, but I also heard that nvidia had since removed the code that disabled physx when ati cards were present.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Im currently running a 4870 1GB with an 8800GT 512MB as dedicated PhysX. Batman is the only PhysX game Ive played so far (Have UT3 but its pretty limited in its use) and I have to say it is nicely done in that game. Played thru once before I decided to hook up the 8800GT, and it does add a whole other level to this game.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Really? I still have my 9800gtx+ but I need to get a new MB.... I hate the fact that Atis catalyst and its physics is really lousy and the quality is nothing compared to Nvidias PhysX.... which driver would one use if you are using catalyst?

You can use any catalyst driver you wish with the setup. There is nothing stopping the dedicated physX from functioning other than a bit of code Nvidia decided to add to prevent it running with when ATI's cards are present. That can be hacked. I also have this setup and been using it with Sacred 2, which also has some pretty nice physX stuff going on.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

O dear...

OK, Im going to be crystal clear on this. ATI Catalyst doesnt have any physics. PhysX is a special engine developed by Ageia and bought by nVidia. It only works if the game developer includes special PhysX code. ATI has nothing to do with it.

True but why would someone install an Nvidia card in the primary x16 slot and then install an ATI in the second? ATI has no PhsyX so there is no point...

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

Thanks for the link to that article, it was really helpful, although I think they might have been using an outdated driver for the 5870, as evidenced by the 22FPS benchmark in Batman...but the GTX 275 only seemed to help in 2 games...one of which was Cryostasis (ick) and the other being Batman, but given the poor performance of the standalone and crossfire'd 5870 I can't really draw any conclusions. But thanks for the article...guess I'll just have to test it out myself and let you guys know how it goes.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hey, just I thought I'd let everyone know that I did finally get it up and working with nvidia driver 196.21 and the GenL PhysX mod 1.02

EDIT: I should also mention that adding the 8800GT boosted my 3DMark Vantage CPU Score from 10455 to 28825...not bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.