Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Core i7 3820 Multiplier lock issue

Last response: in Overclocking
September 16, 2012 12:57:18 PM

My core i7 3820 has a multiplier that can go up to 60 in the evga eleet utility and no limit in my evga x79 ftw bios but when i set my multiplier higher than 36 it stays stuck at 36 and my frequency can't go any higher than 3.6 ghz unless i change bclk frequency which my comp usually crashes at any change greater than 103. Its running relatively cool at these settings; between 20 - 30 C, so no problems there, any suggestions?
September 16, 2012 1:14:27 PM

Not sure about the 3820 but if it's not a K addition it's multipliers are locked. Sometimes in the bios and overclocking utilitys it still says the higher multipliers but when you try to set it to them it will select the highest your CPU will allow (for example on my i5 2400 I can choose 40x multiplier but it will set its self to 36x).
m
l
September 16, 2012 1:40:20 PM

ye but this particular i7 has a partially unlocked multiplier that is limited to 43 but mine never goes up that high and i don't know why. Ive checked so many blogs and forums about this and can't understand how other people are able to increase their multiplier when i can't. Could it be a motherboard limitation on the cpu?
m
l
Related resources
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 6:12:50 PM

The i7-3820 is not a fully unlocked cpu as it does not have the K ,X ot Y after the model number. It is a partially unlocked cpu and will only go up to a predetermined multiplier , after that you'll have to overclock using the BCLK and adding voltage.
Your best option would be to look online for an overclocking guide for the 3820 that can give you step by step instructions.
m
l
December 2, 2012 6:58:27 PM

I have the same exact motherboard, though it has its own problem.
Hmm... Let's see...

I never got my Eleet working, crashes too often and just doesn't work other times.
You can, however, go into bios and set the multiplier manually.
If you really want some real overclocking though, you have to go into bios, DO NOT ENABLE THE OC MODE (plainly put, it sucks. my PSU is not ready for the OC mode. if you have some gold standard 850W+ or a silver standard 1200W+, you can try it though, but it's not prefered. Switches off too many things that i need).
Then, if you are confident eleet will work, enable that, and then a couple settings will change.
Change everything but the PLL and the thing right below that to manual. Go into bclk settings and select x1.25 (no higher unless you have some liquid nitrogen ready). Set the multiplier to manual and set it at 36. If you want it higher, there are reports that you can get stable x39 multipliers at just 1.38V vcore, but it hasn't worked beautifully for me. Go ahead, try, and tell me if you succeed. My VCCIO is set at 1050 mV (default) and VSA is set at 1150 (which is 100 below default) (these are paranoiacly low values. feel free to up them, but not past 1300 and DEFINITELY not past 1400).

To be on the safe side, i generally set the PLL to 1.8 manual, but this is probably not necessary. btw, my RAM is rated at 1.5V and it is at 1.5V manual, so if your ram is different, you may need to change your VSA/VCCIO.

Then, make sure you go into the save place and say "save and RESET." I occationally face some problems if I just press save and exit. If you CPU is hot at this point, then it will just not start up again. Wait for a minute or two, and hit the power button again. Now, it should power up, POST may take a little longer, but in the end, it should pass.

-rmanne

p.s. if this works for you, can you plz post your results? if you get it to 4.875 (with multiplier at 39), can you post your voltages? I can't quite get it to work properly.
And, if it doesn't work for you, post your POST error code. I may be able to help you. In the past week, I probably spent more time fixing my computer than to actually doing any work on it, and i know half the error codes off the top of my head at this point.
m
l
May 16, 2013 12:28:58 PM

Sorry for not reading this post sooner, my bad; so, for some reason my bclk, i set the multiplier at 1.25 like you said but whenever i go into my bios and whenever i look at the eleet tool it always presents my bclk at 100 mhz even though i upped the multiplier so currently i have my multiplier set at 43 for my cpu and eleet says it's at 4.3 ghz which is what i expected but, is it possible that its not actually 4.3 ghz and that its actually running at 5.375 ghz (i know its high but maybe somehow the bclk is actually at 125 mhz even though it says its at 100 mhz)? Now i'm just speculating so, could you tell me if this is possible for my bclk or how i can fix my bclk setting?

P.S. Don't get worried about my temperatures or anything, i have a thermaltake water pro 2.0 liquid cpu cooler and my temps don't budge over 40 C under load :) 

Here's pics of my current config:
http://puu.sh/2ULTG/e0bb7d79ab.png
http://puu.sh/2ULT4/9d0cfd10c5.png
http://puu.sh/2ULSu/792d054bef.png
http://puu.sh/2ULS2/73ed1ffd42.png
http://puu.sh/2ULRk/6a30b600c4.png
m
l

Best solution

May 16, 2013 12:44:45 PM

ujrkingdom said:
Sorry for not reading this post sooner, my bad; so, for some reason my bclk, i set the multiplier at 1.25 like you said but whenever i go into my bios and whenever i look at the eleet tool it always presents my bclk at 100 mhz even though i upped the multiplier so currently i have my multiplier set at 43 for my cpu and eleet says it's at 4.3 ghz which is what i expected but, is it possible that its not actually 4.3 ghz and that its actually running at 5.375 ghz (i know its high but maybe somehow the bclk is actually at 125 mhz even though it says its at 100 mhz)? Now i'm just speculating so, could you tell me if this is possible for my bclk or how i can fix my bclk setting?

AHAHAHA. Yea, i ran into the issue too. The problem is with the intel chipset this time. However, there is a very easy fix to it: after you are done changing the settings on the BIOS, save, exit, reboot. Then, when it is about to boot up, go into BIOS again, you have to use "Save and Reset", not Save and exit or anything else. This will make the bios settings Then, you will notice it taking a little longer to boot, but this time, the baseclock is correct. Now, everytime you reboot, you will notice your computer shutting down immediately after you hit the power, and then it will reboot by itself and work properly this time. This is Intel's chipset syncing itself (yea, what a pain). And trust me, I have a thermaltake water 2.0 pro, and you will have issues clocking past 5GHz stably without overheating your system (tho, i did get 5GHz unstable overheating once).
Just sayin, CPU-Z doesn't lie and Eleet is based off of CPU-Z, so evga is actually right for once :D  Have fun!
!