Sign in with
Your question

I5 3570k cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
September 16, 2012 2:22:34 PM

i will buy i5 3570k and I wanted to ask if I will overclock to 4.4-4.5GHz will the default cooler (that is in the box) be enough? If not do I need to look for watercooler or there is simple cooler that will work too? How I can understand which cooler is for me? I mean what I must look on the technique characteristics?

More about : 3570k cooler

a c 121 K Overclocking
September 16, 2012 2:45:14 PM

Firstly, realize that how high you can OC is dependent on your luck in getting a good sample. 4.5+ may not be possible, regardless of the cooler. For gaming, once you get to 4.0( which virtually every chip will do),
there is little return for more.

The stock cooler will do the job, up to a point. Under load, the fan will spin up, and become noisy.

I suggest a simple $30 tower type cooler with a slow turning 120mm fan. The cm hyper212, for example.
It will let you OC higher, run quieter, and be easier to mount.

If you want the best, you can buy a Noctua NH-D14 or phantek at 2-3 times the price to get .1 more out of your cpu.
Not much worth it, I think. In a well ventilated case, it will perform just as well as the even more expensive all-in-one liquid coolers.

My advice... spend $30 on a cm hyper212 or similar.
a c 148 K Overclocking
September 16, 2012 3:08:25 PM

On a SB CPU ..... Id do

4.0 on the stock cooler
4.4 - 4.5 on a Hyper 212
4.5 - 4.7 on a Hyper 612 / Scythe Mugen 3
4.8 - 5.0 on Phanteks, Silver Arrow or DH-14

On IB, I wouldn't think about OC'ing on a stock cooler. General wisdom is to take 0.4 - 0.5 Ghz off the above for IB

Up to 4.0 on a Hyper 212
4.1 - 4.3 on a Hyper 612 / Scythe Mugen 3
4.4 - 4.5 on Phanteks, Silver Arrow or DH-14
Related resources
September 16, 2012 3:12:01 PM

Thank you geofelt for your answer.... Please check the following coolers that I thing are good and please tell me which one is good enough for higher overclocking

Edit: JackNaylorPE please give a look you too

Note: The price in my country are higher

COOLER MASTER Ventirad Hyper TX3 EVO 20 Euro
COOLER MASTER Ventirad Hyper 212 EVO 27 Euro
COOLER MASTER Ventirad GeminII M4 28 Euro
COOLER MASTER CPU HYPER 412S 35.50 Euro
COOLER MASTER Ventirad GeminII SF524 39.50 Euro
COOLER MASTER Ventirad CPU HYPER 612S 40 Euro

BE QUIET! Dark Rock C1 Advanced 50 Euro
BE QUIET! BQ-SR1-46-120 40 Euro

ENERMAX ETS-T40-TB 35 Euro
a c 121 K Overclocking
September 16, 2012 3:48:08 PM

I would eliminate the TX3 because of a puny 92mm fan.
I would also eliminate any downdraft coolers like the geminiM4. Tower type coolers direct the hot air towards the back or top exits of the case, giving better cooling.

The Hyper212 EVO would be my pick. Very effective and inexpensive.

Regardless of the cpu cooler, buy a case with adequate airflow. To me, a case with two 120mm intake fans or the equivalent in exhaust fans will give you all the airflow you need.
September 16, 2012 4:01:38 PM

geofelt said:
I would eliminate the TX3 because of a puny 92mm fan.
I would also eliminate any downdraft coolers like the geminiM4. Tower type coolers direct the hot air towards the back or top exits of the case, giving better cooling.

The Hyper212 EVO would be my pick. Very effective and inexpensive.

Regardless of the cpu cooler, buy a case with adequate airflow. To me, a case with two 120mm intake fans or the equivalent in exhaust fans will give you all the airflow you need.

This is my case http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6654

But JackNaylorPE says it will oveclock up to 4.0... Have you tested to run at 4.4-4.5Ghz with that cooler? Or have you read anywhere someone that using it? I don't want to burn my CPU :D 
a c 121 K Overclocking
September 16, 2012 4:16:55 PM

Xoemab said:
This is my case http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6654

But JackNaylorPE says it will oveclock up to 4.0... Have you tested to run at 4.4-4.5Ghz with that cooler? Or have you read anywhere someone that using it? I don't want to burn my CPU :D 

Your case is fine.

Do not worry about burning up your cpu. If the cpu gets too hot, it will downclock or shut off to protect itself.

I have not personally used that particular cooler. I use a prolimatech megahalems with an undervolted fan.
I only have it at 4.3, which is all I need, and I value quiet.

How well your particular chip will do is variable.

If you want to take the time, go to the newegg reviews for the cooler. There are 903 of them.
If you sort by latest review, you will find on the first page a user who has a 3570K@4.4.
No doubt, there are more examples.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 16, 2012 4:21:12 PM

geofelt thank you man... 75C at full load it's not very hot as I know... it's perfect for me
!