Sign in with
Your question

Is this right - gold pin connectors on 5770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2010 8:26:31 PM

Hi guys,

Really sorry if this is actually how it's supposed to be on a PCI-E card (been on agp forever!) but I'm troubleshooting a new build and my motherboard (asus p7p55d pro ( w/ core i5)) is flashing its little VGA diagnostic light at me while I'm getting nothing on the monitor.

And yes I've connected the pci-e power (from a nice 650 psu from corsair)

My question is - Is this right....?

Thanks,

Simon
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 8:36:58 PM

I noticed that on my 5870, and checked my older 8800gts and they all had that same thing. That's how they look. I was worried too at first.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 8:38:34 PM

Do you have the ability to try that video card in another computer? Just to make sure it's working properly?
January 18, 2010 8:44:16 PM

Thanks so much for getting back to me guys - I'm both relieved and stumped as to what the problem could be then!

Argh... I wish I had another comp with a PCI-E slot - but I don't :( 

Hope I didn't esd the darn thing - never managed it before tho!

Any thoughts for me to try? I don't suppose resetting the bios would do anything since it's brand new anyway!?
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 9:18:17 PM

6 pin PCIe plugged in?
(I'm assuming the PSU is the Corsair 650TX)

Also, that board has 2x PCIe slots. Try the other slot and see.
January 18, 2010 9:29:31 PM

OMG - I have no idea how on earth it made any difference - but I read some rubbish online somewhere about trying the different ram slots - which didn't work and suggested to me to press the 'memOK' button (a default failsafe where it tries different ram timings etc... which also didn't work... but then when I put the RAM back in the original slots and just gave everything a good shove it booted - the bios came up with options to recover settings as after a failed boot, but whatever kicked it into action - it's working!

Thanks so much for you help and suggestions, I wouldn't have pursued it if you hadn't told me the card was actually normal!

Simon
January 19, 2010 12:16:31 AM

It is usually not the order of the RAM, rather the fact that it is quite often not sitting properly and by removing and reinstalling it, it fixes the problem.
!